Mature tank crashed! Help

1. pepetj Well Known Member Member

My 29gal bow Angelfish tank crashed. I came home at noon to find my paired-off Angelfish dead.

Both filters stopped working (likely damaged by power failure) and I didn't noticed. Last water change was performed last Saturday (5 days ago). This tank was set as a low flow system. The Hagen dual sponge that works through a dual airpump went dead (only one of the inductors still works) so that was it for the beneficial bacterial colonies living there. The HOB ToM Rapids MiniCanister filter stopped working as well (still figuring out what went wrong).

I'm in the middle of huge water change. I placed one of my back-up seeded filters in there to protect the other fish. I am afraid of finding more casualties.

Let you know more as I move on solving this

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

2. click Well Known Member Member

I'm sorry to hear about your tank. Hopefully you don't find any more casualties.

3. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I'm so sorry! What a nightmare. :(

4. pepetj Well Known Member Member

The ammonia readings on a sample of the tank water taken before the water change showed Ammonia at 2ppm. I suspect depleted oxygen as a major cause of the Angelfish death (the male betta and corydoras breath by going to the surface).

After the water change Ammonia readings are negligible again. pH went up from 6.8 to 7.2. I did around a 95% water change. I placed two additional seeded filters and placed activated charcoal media. Added extra aeration, turned one of the lights assembly off.

This was my first pair of Angelfish that I managed to witness as they grew from small juveniles into mating. One of them had red eyes. I'm going to monitor this tank closely since my plans with it were to place a pair of Discus and attempt to breed them there.

I added Tetra AquaSafe since it works as Prime in neutralizing ammonia when this problems occur.

I found one Yellow Nose Shrimp dead. The Kuhli loaches and Corydoras (Panda and Imitator) shoals are intact. Most of the trumpet snails headed toward the surface. This problem likely started yesterday shortly after noon time hours (we experienced a two hours energy black out).

I know it's a risk I conscientiously took with a slow-flow system that was housing quite a big bioload. Room for error is inexistent with settings like these.

I'll keep moving. I'm truly sad for loosing this pair (I was getting ready to move them to the Amazon-themed tank).

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

5. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Oh Pepe that's terrible. I'm sorry to hear about this. I know how much you love your fish!

6. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Pepetj, so sorry to hear about your Angel loss and crash. I hope the rest of your fish and critters are going to be ok. Keep us posted.
    Ken

7. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I'm so sorry about your tank crashing and the loss of your angelfish. I hope you get everything resolved soon.

8. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. Please keep us posted.
    Carol

9. FishHobbiest Well Known Member Member

Thats a real bummer i once had that happen overnight with my smaller tank with guppies in it the filter shut off in the night and i had no idea until i woke up, luckily i caugt it in time,
    Maybe you might want to get one of those buzzer alarms for your filters so if anything goes wrong it will go off i have heard of some people who have had there tank saved because of the device.

10. pepetj Well Known Member Member

Tank is stable. Cycle related readings are OK again. I will feed sparingly over the next few days to make sure the newly introduced bacteria (from seeded filters) ends up colonizing the tank.

I did a thorough substrate vacuum to remove organic debris... I will perform a "top-off' of Eco-Complete to the substrate during the weekend to address the disruption I created while cleaning (e.g. around the Crinum calamistratum).

I haven't been able to find the eight Yellow Nose Shrimps. They camouflage greatly well in that tank so I'll need to be patient to rule them missing or alive. I can confirm that all the other fish are indeed in the tank.

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

11. CDA Initiate Member

So very sorry to hear about the loss of your Angels. I am glad things have stabilized for you.

12. Diggly Well Known Member Member

I am so happy that it has stabilised and sorry for your losses. that which tests us better prepares us for the future.