So I got matten sponge filters with a rack system I purchased of a bunch of 6 20 gallon longs... I have two tanks so far running with it and just figured I'd post some observations. Maybe someone else has used these and has ways around cons I have found.
- [Con] They are a little louder I find than normal sponge filters. I'm guessing this has to do with the airstone and it pulling things through. I've actually never used a normal sponge filter that requires airstones to compare this to (I typically use the aquaneat double sponge filter that it is all in one). Maybe a better quality airstone?
- [Neutral] Flow seems low - This can be a good thing too though - It seems that the flow is low, but it does seem to circulate some in the tank. Maybe this is an airstone issue?
- [Con] Takes up a decent amount of space - beyond maybe getting a corner setup, I'm not sure theres any way around this, as that is the point of these is the large surface area.
- [Pro] Can hide the heater behind the filter - This is a very nice feature to keep the heater out of sight and away from fish!
- [Pro] They seem quite simple to setup and go like the aquaneats sponge filters I love.
- [Con] They are harder though to move around AFTER things are setup in the tank (substrate falling down, fish exploring, etc).
- [Pro] All the surface area!!! This is the part I really really am drawn to on them.