Mating snails or fighting snails?

Discussion in 'Snails' started by cabrerarm, Jul 13, 2015.

1. cabrerarmValued MemberMember

So i got a blue mystery snail and placed him in my 46G bowfront he was just hanging out when my gold snail went up to him and tried to swallow him whole. I separated them and placed Mr blue in the betta tank. Question is could it have been mating or murder in the first?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydroWell Known MemberMember

I've never heard of mystery snails killing each other, I'm led to believe it's far more likely to be breeding behavior.

3. OP
    OP
    c

cabrerarmValued MemberMember

Huh I may have overreacted then but this new snail had a cracked she'll. I rescued him from petsmart and I'd been worried about his health.

4. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydroWell Known MemberMember

A cracked shell is definitely not a good sign. The most you can do is maintain Ca levels in the aquarium with a piece of cuttlebone and good water quality.

5. Bijou88

Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

It's likely mating, mystery snails aren't exactly aggressive critters. Sometimes they just crawl on each other too, my magenta likes to ride my golden around like a pony. They also clean algae/micro organisms off of each others shells so if it looks like one is eating the shell of the other, it's actually just cleaning it. :)

I would move it back to its tank, the other snail won't hurt it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

6. OP
    OP
    c

cabrerarmValued MemberMember

I got him from petsmart like that. There's already cuttlebone in the tank so I'm hoping it helps him.

Yeah I'll move him back when I get home thanks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice