Mating Shrimp

Swlws

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So I was lucky enough to watch the entire mating and egg moving process last night! I fed them a small algae wafer which they go nuts for cause I wanted to count roughly how many females are berried, to my surprise a female that must have JUST molted came out (stupid stupid shrimp coming to a feeding frenzy while pumping out all those pheromones
upload_2019-8-21_18-2-5.gif
) to not miss the algae treat... needless to say, she tried to eat and 7-8 males said that isn't going to happen... they were going ballistic around her until one finally caught her, did the deed and a a few seconds later she was bending her body to transfer the eggs, I was even able to see the eggs move through to her under pouch thingy. What a fascinating watch, fascinating and so incredibly short because the whole process couldn't have been longer than 30 seconds! Anyway, I achieved my count, I believe I had 4 berried shrimp and now I have 5 :emoji_joy: :emoji_heart_eyes::emoji_hugging:

ps- after all that was over, she DID in fact get to sit on the wafer a while and eat... I think she deserved it too...

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wow, I've never seen that. Too bad you didn't have your camera on you. Nice that you got to see it though! Thanks for sharing and congrats on the berried shrimp

Cherie G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I am so envious of what you were able to witness, wow that must have been great! I should not have been eating my lunch while reading your post however because I almost shoot a green bean out of my nose laughing when I read about the one male catching her & "did the deed". For some reason it looked hilarious to me typed out. Just me being immature :shame:. So glad to read about your experience, was fascinating, thanks!

Swlws

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
angelcraze said:
Wow, I've never seen that. Too bad you didn't have your camera on you. Nice that you got to see it though! Thanks for sharing and congrats on the berried shrimp
I know! I considered running for my phone at the very least but I had read how fast it all happened so I figured I'd rather watch then risk missing it... I WILL have my camera (or phone) with me for a few weeks now, probably until this hyped feeling goes away

Cherie G said:
I am so envious of what you were able to witness, wow that must have been great! I should not have been eating my lunch while reading your post however because I almost shoot a green bean out of my nose laughing when I read about the one male catching her & "did the deed". For some reason it looked hilarious to me typed out. Just me being immature :shame:. So glad to read about your experience, was fascinating, thanks!
:emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing: I am hoping they do that for me again, once was not enough but I fear she was the only one silly enough to want to eat during a mating ritual :emoji_see_no_evil:

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Swlws said:
I know! I considered running for my phone at the very least but I had read how fast it all happened so I figured I'd rather watch then risk missing it... I WILL have my camera (or phone) with me for a few weeks now, probably until this hyped feeling goes away

:emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing: I am hoping they do that for me again, once was not enough but I fear she was the only one silly enough to want to eat during a mating ritual :emoji_see_no_evil:
I'm thinking I'm really glad I'm not a shrimp right now ha!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom