Mating Ritual or something else...? Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by jen_jen_ng, Apr 7, 2010.

1. jen_jen_ng

jen_jen_ng New Member Member

I'm a completely newbie to this so I don't know how does a mating ritual looks like between guppies and.... especially between two male guppies........ (?)

I only have two male guppies in the tank at the moment.
    While I was pulling an all-nighter last night (exam), I noticed my tuxedo male guppy (Luminous) was chasing my other red cobra guppy (Speedy) more vigorously around the tank. And then Speedy began to express similar behaviours.

Here's a few behaviours that I noted in both guppies:
    1) They arch their backs
    2) Muscles around the tail tighten
    3) They look really stiff as they flutter their fins... looks like their having a seizure...
    *4) Their eyes turn completely black within seconds for a while and then back to normal and then repeats... :S

Does that sound like a "normal" mating ritual/behaviour (...between two males?)?
    Or are they challenging and showing off themelves?
    Or are they sick...?

Since it's my first time seeing it, it's kind of interesting but really awkward at the same time. It gives me the chills sometimes since it looks so awkward (uncomfortable), lolz. I was able to record it on camera when my guppies were doing it (not the best representation but good enough), if anyone is interested to see it and also if I figure out how to attach a video.

Anyways, please let me know what yout think and if I should do something about it (other than getting them some girlfriends, lolz - which I will in the next couple of weeks once I can be definite that my tank is stable and fully cycled)

Mating ritual or normal behaviours or sick?

~ Jennifer ~

2. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning Jen,

I think what your Guppies are experiencing is normal behavior. Usually the ratio for Guppies is 1 male to 3 females. It sounds to me like dominance issues being displayed between the 2 males. I'm sure you'll get more responses.

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/how-do-i/12878-how-do-i-add-videos-posts.html

If you have problems posting a video after checking out the link above, let someone know and we'll go from there.

I created a YouTube account and post my videos there. Then I copy and paste the URL here in the post.

Ken:animal0028:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice