Mating Peacock Cichlids

Jerrod Grant Robker

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey all,

This is totally a newbie question.

Right on queue after a 50% water change, my peacocks started mating, only this time it seemed backwards. I have 135g with approx 50 peacocks and have seen them mate before, but this time the female was laying eggs, the Male (I think) scooped them up and then they went in circles over and over like normal. I'm wondering, if the Male is carrying them, how did they get fertilized during their "circle dance"? I'm soooooo confused. Never seen this before.

Jaxsco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Generally Male cichlids do "flyovers" so to speak and spray sperm over the entire clutch. It's very possible that they were fertilized. Additionally if it's a new and inexperienced pair they may have not figured out the process yet.

Jerrod Grant Robker

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
His mouth was literally right up against her as the eggs came out and immediately sucked them up. Then, they switched places and he put his mouth right on her "hole" and round and round they went. Do you think maybe they're just inexperienced and did it backwards and they're not fertilized? I've been around mating cichlids for only 7 mos and have 4 other baby tanks with egg tumblers. I have over 500 right now, so like I said, this is a first for me.

Jaxsco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Are you sure he he's holding the eggs and hasn't eaten them? If he's holding them I would chalk it up to inexperience. It can take cichlids a couple of tries to get it right. I would personally just watch and wait.

Jerrod Grant Robker

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm positive it's the Male holding them and they're still in his mouth an hour later. I bet you're right. I'll wait a week before I strip them and see if they're fertilized. Next question is, if they are in fact fertilized, is there any explanation for that?

Jaxsco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If they are fertilized it's possible that the male had sprayed sperm into the water when the eggs came out so they were fertilized. Additionally, although unlikely, it could be possible that he spits them out and fertilizes them.

Let me know what happens when you strip him!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom