Mating or fighting?

1. GoCichlids Initiate Member

I recently purchased two Convict Cichlids, and I believe one is female and other one is male. It is my first time with this species, and I would like them to breed. I'm not completely sure if I was correct in sexing, so could someone please confirm? Attached is the JPEG of larger convict cichlid, which I believe to be a female. I tried to get a picture of other one but I couldn't get a good one. Other one (not in the picture) is much darker, has bluish gray and black stripes--no orange belly but has some green spots on the top fin. I'm assuming this is a male, correct?

If that is the case, then why is the female chasing the male? He would hide in the floating plants when she does that. Is it part of mating behavior or are they fighting? I am just trying to figure out what's going on. I don't want to get either one killed. On additional note, the male is smaller than female right now--could it be part of why she's chasing him? Any advice or help will be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to FishLore! :;toast

Yes, the fish pictured is a female. It is possible that she is the dominant fish. This is often a problem when the male is younger/smaller than the female and/or the tank is too small for the pair. How large is the tank you have them in?

3. GoCichlids Initiate Member

I have them in 20 gal long fish tank right now. It is just two of them. The tank has gravels, and a cave that I built for them out of real rocks along with Amazon Sword plant. Is there any way for her to accept and mate with this particular small male? Or should I purchase a larger male in order to get the female to mate? If so, what should I do with a small male that I have right now? Should I keep him and let him grow then get a female for him later on? Is it possible to have two pairs in the same tank or do they have to be separate? I am aware that they can be aggressive.

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore~!!!!!!

I agree...that is a female...Adding a bunch of hiding spots is best...my female went through 2 males before she was happy....if you have enough places for him to hide, she will either eventually spawn with him or never get along...give it some time though

5. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

As Shawnie said, some females just do not accept some males. For now I would add a bunch of fake or live plants with some more caves. What I did was I would put a divider in so they could see each other but not bite at one another. Then when they were similar size or when the female was getting ready to breed I'd take out the divider.

6. GoCichlids Initiate Member

If I put a divider between the two, how do I know if the female is ready to spawn so I can remove the divider?

7. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

That's a great looking female Con :D good find.

8. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

I myself, wouldnt divide them...just have plenty of hiding spots for them...he will even start chasing her eventually.....if they are going to spawn, in a weeks time, you will know how they are getting along as a couple...she really is a beauty and the colors you see on her, are total spawning colors that can get brighter the more ready she is...

9. GoCichlids Initiate Member

Lost or dislocated jaw?

I have a young male Convict Cichlid and I recently purchased him a week ago. He was perfect fine when I got him but after two days, I noticed he was acting strange. He was staying in his cave constantly, wouldn't come out at all--not even to eat. He continues to behave this way but he finally got out of the cave today and I discovered something wrong with him. He appears to have a dislocated or lost jaw? His mouth stays open the whole time, he can't seem to close it. What's wrong with him exactly? Will he survive? Or is it best to euthenize him if he's suffering? What could have caused this to happen? Help, please.

10. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

He could have gotten in a fight with your female? Is he eating and acting normal? If so, id let him be and keep an eye on him

11. GoCichlids Initiate Member

Actually I have separated the female from the male since day 1 to allow him to get used to the environment before I put the female back in. I haven't put her back in yet. He doesn't eat during the feed time but I can't find any bloodworm that I left for him to eat every time I check so I'm assuming he ate them???? But he definitely isn't acting normal. He just stays in one spot for a long time--he doesn't swim around the tank like other ones do.

12. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

hope he feels better soon. i've had that mouth-won't-close thing with a few of my small, schooling fish before. i have no idea what caused it. but they eat and function fine. not sure if it's the same thing though.

wow, i had no idea that female cons were that picky about their mates! i guess i'm luckily with the pair of (pink) ones i got. hope yours breed for you....it's so cool to see all the little baby fish swimming around

13. GoCichlids Initiate Member

unfortunately, my male cichlid with mouth issue just died. :-( I'm trying to find a 2" to 2.5" male convict cichlid for my female but everywhere I looked, all of them are small. Any idea on where I could find or who I could contact about buying one?