Mathas' Planted 90 gallon

mathas
Not much new with this update, just more growth on the plecos and another flare-off between two of the male rams.

These first two pictures are of the same pleco, the top picture was taken on November 6th and the bottom picture was taken this evening. Lots of bristle growth for only three weeks!

The other bristlenose is by far the less-dominant male, I find it interesting that his bristle growth is far less pronounced despite them being added to the tank within a week of one another. Is he less dominant because he grows slower, or does he grow slower because he's less dominant? Or do the two have no relation?

Dominant male on the left, intruder on the right. One day, I will manage to snap a picture during a lip-lock battle!

GouramiGirl1221
Your rams are gorgeous!

angelfish220
Its so pretty.... [drooly smile]

I want it!!!

mathas
I noticed there was a lot of aggression from the rams again today, but didn't see any eggs in the normal spot... low and behold, the other female has claimed a territory and laid eggs now!

I also finally got a picture of a ram spitting sand:

And finally, here is a malaysian trumpet snail in process of reproduction:

Lucy
Great pics! Love the ram spitting sand, that's too cute.

Congrats on the eggs.

mathas
Love the ram spitting sand, that's too cute.
Thanks I've been trying for a shot like that since I got the rams in August, but I never could time it right.

dancerhas
I think it helps that I have 220W of light over the tank, which combined with the lower aperture setting, is enough light to allow me to use the faster shutter speed and lower ISO setting.

Whoa, yeah...that's gotta be it, lol. We only have 18-20 watts.

Jess
Mathas, beautiful photographs! Your rams are exquisite. Its fun to see your tank evolve. Its true how you have to move plants around. Some are fast growers and in my case some just melt. : (

Je55*e
Is this the flourish excel you mean?
I'm guessing so. I really admire the condition of your plants, and am about to start my first planted aquarium. I like to take advice from people who have done things that work well.
And, by the flourish root tabs, do you mean

mathas
Is this the flourish excel you mean?
I'm guessing so. I really admire the condition of your plants, and am about to start my first planted aquarium. I like to take advice from people who have done things that work well.
And, by the flourish root tabs, do you mean
Yes on both counts!

Je55*e
Thanks! One more question
Can you use the flourish excel along with the flourish iron? It seems like that is what you are doing.

mathas
Thanks! One more question
Can you use the flourish excel along with the flourish iron? It seems like that is what you are doing.
Yes, all the Flourish products can be used together. And you're right, I am

Je55*e
^Haha, thanks again. =)

TropicalGrimmish
While I appreciate the kind words, there's always room for improvement

For example, I still have issues controlling what my camera focuses on, as evidenced in this picture:

The corys are a little blurry, while the cave behind them is sharp.

But sometimes I get it right! Here is a group of the corys being far less shy than they were during the last photo session:
wow beautiful luv your corys

Je55*e
Late question, mathas, but what is the brand name of the pool filter sand you used? I can only find a tannish-colored one with rather large granules of sand. I really wanted cream-colored/white. I'm so picky.

mathas
Late question, mathas, but what is the brand name of the pool filter sand you used? I can only find a tannish-colored one with rather large granules of sand. I really wanted cream-colored/white. I'm so picky.
I have no idea I just went to the closest pool supply store and bought two bags of whatever they had.

mare2009
I have no idea I just went to the closest pool supply store and bought two bags of whatever they had.

:kewlpics: AWESOME ..AWESOME ..AWESOME TANK, and wonderful healthy looking fish..GREAT photos, really enjoyed your pictures a lot!

jack--sos
Just wondering mathas about your water changes. In every picture your water looks pristine, how often and what % water changes you do?

mathas
Just wondering mathas about your water changes. In every picture your water looks pristine, how often and what % water changes you do?
Usually once per week, occasionally it goes a week and a half between changes if I'm busy. I generally change around a third of the volume at a time, so 33% or so... but by no means do I measure precisely, so it could really be anywhere from 30-45%.

Blub
Usually once per week, occasionally it goes a week and a half between changes if I'm busy. I generally change around a third of the volume at a time, so 33% or so... but by no means do I measure precisely, so it could really be anywhere from 30-45%.

Have you got any updates?!?

TStone21
very very nice tank, I'm hoping to get a 90 gal and I hope it goes as well as yours diud

mathas
Have you got any updates?!?
Not in pictures, no

The angels that I posted pictures of spawning earlier in the thread did so again last night, but I was on the way out the door when I noticed, and didn't have time to document it... and the eggs were gone this morning. Guess this means I can finally remove the others and let this pair have their run of the tank now!

mathas
Time to lay this thread to rest... it's starting to get a bit cumbersome, and there's a lot of changes coming.

Thanks for all the comments so far, stay tuned for the next episode.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Prevail
Replies
Views
JLAquatics
Replies
Views
Blacksheep1
Replies
Views