55 Gallon Tank Mated Ram Pair sudden aggression

giroliro3

Tldr; I have a male golden ram and female german blue ram who were already a mated pair before I bought them. After spending maybe 4 days in my tank as best buddies, I moved some java moss to the other side of the tank and suddenly the male became aggressive with the female and they no longer hang out together.

Backstory:
A week or two ago I went to the LFS and stared at a tank full of rams in hopes to find a mated pair. I discovered a male golden ram and a female german blue ram who wouldn't attack each other but would attack at every single other fish in the tank so I took them home.

They were best buddies, following each other around 24/7 and pretty much spending every moment together like a couple strolling down the street.

The female was really shy and would hide in a little cave of java moss when it was feeding time so I relocated the moss to the other side of the tank. That fixed her shyness and eating problem but the male stopped liking her and now goes out of his way to chase her every time he sees her.

I feel like I ruined their relationship. They didn't leave any eggs or anything. It feels like they had a home and I ruined it, and he blamed her for it or something. This has been going on for about a week. Any help would be appreciated.

GlennO

It's not unusual for cichlid pairs or potential pairs to go through stages like that. As long as he is not constantly hunting her down and attacking her and she can find respite at one end of the tank I would just leave them be for now and keep an eye on them.

Dunk2

A week or two ago I went to the LFS and stared at a tank full of rams in hopes to find a mated pair. I discovered a male golden ram and a female german blue ram who wouldn't attack each other but would attack at every single other fish in the tank so I took them home.

They were best buddies, following each other around 24/7 and pretty much spending every moment together like a couple strolling down the street.
The behavior you describe doesn’t necessarily mean you have a mated pair. Have they spawned yet?

Can you post a picture of the fish and your tank?

About the aggression. . . Moving the Java moss could have re-set the territories the fish had claimed. So now they’re working to establish new territories? Or they’re just Rams being Rams! Keep a close eye on them to make sure one isn’t getting injured.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Dunk2
  • Question
Replies
Views
Cale24
  • Question
Replies
Views
Dunk2