Mated Angelfish

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by Dp8006, Jul 5, 2016.

1. D

Dp8006 New Member Member

This may sound odd but I have a mated pair of angelfish in my 40 gallon breeder and was wondering is there a way to stop them from breeding? I want more smaller fish in the tank but they get so territorial I'm about afraid to put anything in there. Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. Mwh7

Mwh7 Valued Member Member

The only thing I can think of is to separate the pair either into separate tanks or rehome one.

3. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

I don't think their really is a way to stop them from breeding, except to separate them.

4. OP
    OP
    D

Dp8006 New Member Member

Ok thank you I almost hate to separate them but I can't handle how territorial they get. I'm really afraid to put other fish on it. I may have to go that route. I have angelfish fry from them in a ten gallon because they were trying to eat them. This makes the fourth batch she has laid

5. OP
    OP
    D

Dp8006 New Member Member

Would it stress the female since their a mated pair to maybe rehome the male and get another female for my tank

6. Mwh7

Mwh7 Valued Member Member

No they'll be fine. But I wouldn't put two female angels in a 40 gallon unless the tank is long.

7. Charles556

Charles556 Valued Member Member

^Agreed. 2 Adult angelfish that aren't a pair will likely create a bully/victim situation.

While the advice provided by Mwh7 and clk89 is solid, the idea of keeping a single angelfish...bothers me a little. Especially one's that's already found the love of its life, so to speak. :(

Oh well. I guess I'm just anthropomorphizing the fish. There are plenty of people out there who keep/kept a single angelfish in a tank without a problem.

Then again, I keep my mated pair of silvers with other fish. I've found that schools of fish, like black neons tetras and corydoras, can generally avoid the increase aggression from the angels. Despite many spawns, I've never lost a fish to angelfish bullying. A school of rummynose tetras, for example, stay closer to the bottom, while the Angelfish usually spawn on flat surfaces in the middle of the tank.

Food for thought

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice