Mate for German Ram?

Discussion in 'Ram Cichlid' started by tinks8400, Jul 29, 2015.

1. t

tinks8400 New Member Member

So after been sold 2 males, had asked for a male and female, one has unfortunately died. I'm wanting to get my remaining Ram a mate, my question is would it be better to purchase 2-3 females for him to choose from or jus the 1 female? What would happen to the remaining female/s if a pair was matched? Is it possible he would create a harem?

2. Jswin

Jswin Well Known Member Member

I bought two for my one male. Unfortunately I haven't found out yet. Both females are in quarantine.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    t

tinks8400 New Member Member

I was thinking the same to purchase two, have you any advice on what would happen to the remaining female if a pair was matched, would she be bullied by the pair? Or jus get on by her self?

4. Jswin

Jswin Well Known Member Member

Mine would be in a heavily planted 40g so hopefully she would have places to get away and hide.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

I don't have this experience myself but have done quite a bit of research into rams. I've seen people that purchase 2 females for the male and when the male chooses the mate either they both bully the other or the two females start fighting. Either the lone female is killed or the mated female is killed and then you are back to square 1 with an unpaired group.

Probably best if you just rehome the non grouped fish.

EDIT: Since your tank is well planted I guess you could try it and observe closely. If you start to see aggression rehome the lone female

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice