Matching Temp For Water Changes

AnglerTheStrangler

Well Known
Reaction score
I'm wondering the best way to match temp for my water changes. I have 3 tanks and their all prettt close to the same temp so I try to match it as close as possible to the new water I’m putting in. I guess what I’m wondering is does it have to be exactly on point like if the temp in the tank is 80.3 does the water change water have to be 80.3 or can it be like 80.0 or 80.5? Obviously I try my best to get it the exact same but sometimes it’s hard too.

Cheesearmada

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Things to consider:

-When it rains in the wild, the temperatures in bodies of water lower. If you want to replicate the wild as well as you can, I would see 2-3 degrees lower fine.
-If you're doing a small water change, say 20-30%, a small temperature difference of even 5 wouldn't hurt.
-A bigger water change 50-70% requires some accuracy, but again, the water should 'level' itself back.

I don't typically worry about temperatures during water changes. If you have a good heater there shouldn't be any big problems. Just as long as you don't put boiling water or freezing water.

KinsKicks

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello!

Usually within 1-2 [whole] degrees of the tank temperature is fine. And if you want to be really sure, you can get a cheaply food-safe thermometer

Natalya

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I always just stick my hand in the water and, to my utter amazement, the temperature never fluctuates beyond 0.5 degrees even though I do 40-50%

JenC

Well Known
Reaction score
Cheesearmada gave great info.

I bought an extra $2 suction thermometer and use it to guage my bucket water temps, adjusting as needed.

I try to get within 2 degrees as my fish are humorously sensitive. One used to "faint" and lie on the substrate during changes so now I temp match closely and refill through a collander so I don't freak them out.

SkynJay

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Never thought about refilling through a collander, that is a good idea. I admit I always pour the water into my open hand to disperse it when refilling from a bucket.

JenC

Well Known
Reaction score
SkynJay said:
Never thought about refilling through a collander, that is a good idea. I admit I always pour the water into my open hand to disperse it when refilling from a bucket.
It works well. I read the collander suggestion somewhere - probably here.

The collander has handles and sits on the tank rI'm so I don't have to hold it. The fish probably think it's raining. The substrate doesn't get displaced like it used to, which I appreciate.

RuralGuppykeeper

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It may depend on what method works for you the best for doing water changes.
What I can tell you from my very limited experience is my guppies appear to do fine with the water temperature within two degrees Fahrenheit, for no more than a 50% tank water change. My current method is to put the heated tap water into buckets, observe the glass aquarium thermometer, and adjust with additional warm or cool water, until the temperature is within two degrees Fahrenheit a few additional minutes later.

aquatickeeper

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
A temp change within 5 degrees is all right. If it gets to 6+ degrees in difference, then that would stress the fish out a bit.

If the water is too warm, add ice cubes. If the water is too cold, add hot water. It's not that hard getting it to the correct temp because what your aiming at is a 10 degree temp range (5 degrees warmer than tank water and another 5 degrees cooler than tank water ) which shouldn't be that hard.

New Threads