Master Api Test Kit Of Plant Nutrients?

Lucyn

Well Known
So I have a pretty good knowledge of plants and such, but I was just wondering if there’s some sort of test kit that you can test the contents of the water for nutrients. For example magnesium, potassium, calicium, iron etc. Do you have to buy separate test kit strips for each nutrient or just pretty much go off physical apperence of the plant? Thank you!

Bryangar

Fishlore VIP
There are test kit for some of those things, but like AquaticJ said, they’re mostly sold as reef test kits. It’ll be a lot cheaper to tell by appearance of the plant, it’s not that hard to tell deficiencies.

OP
Lucyn

Lucyn

Well Known
So pretty much I'm going to have to buy separate test strips for each mineral/nutrient I'd like measured?

aniroc

Well Known
Lucyn said:
So pretty much I'm going to have to buy separate test strips for each mineral/nutrient I'd like measured?
There are not that many...and I suggest you buy the liquid tests, not the strips. For the "micro" nutrients, the dosing (and testing) is based on Iron alone.

OP
Lucyn

Lucyn

Well Known
aniroc said:
There are not that many...and I suggest you buy the liquid tests, not the strips. For the "micro" nutrients, the dosing (and testing) is based on Iron alone.
Yes I know, it's just I don't know of any liquid tests like Master API test kit that test for those nutrients. And are you saying by reading my iron level I can dose how much my plants need for all the nutrients combined?

aniroc

Well Known
Lucyn said:
Yes I know, it's just I don't know of any liquid tests like Master API test kit that test for those nutrients. And are you saying by reading my iron level I can dose how much my plants need for all the nutrients combined?
Only for the "micro" mix....like Iron, Copper, Molybdenum, Manganese, Boron....They are usually together
For the "macro": N-P-K, you have a test for Nitrates and for Phosphates. There is a test for Calcium, I don't know if it works for freshwater.

ryanr

HI Lucy,
Check out Hanna Instruments. They have kits for just about everything, though they're not all cheap.
Not sure what they have for FW, but their Saltwater test kits are pretty comprehensive.
EDIT: Red Sea have pretty comprehensive test kit collection, but again, they're for SW, not sure if they'd work for FW.

As suggested above, for a planted tank, the only tests I'd really worry about are Nitrate, Phosphate, GH, and maybe Iron.

Then, just let the plants tell you what they need.
Here's a great chart for plant deficiencies:
As well as this thread Deficiency List for Plants

Jocelyn Adelman

Fishlore VIP
Sera and Seachem might have a few individual tests... (fe, ca, etc)
From apI would be the kH/gH Kit, can also get phosphates
Testing K is impossible

Would be better off looking into a “dosing method”, EI, PPS pro, PMDD, and going by those while you are first learning to dose... after that if you start to have issues you can increase/decrease from the ‘recipe’ you started with

New Threads