5 Gallon Tank Massive Tumor on female Betta

twister.mama
Hi, I'm very new, so please bear with me!

I've already read as many threads as I can regarding tumors on fish, particularly on Bettas. I guess I didn't realize how common this can be? I've been keeping tanks with many different kinds of freshwater fish over the past 4+ years; but I ALWAYS kept one 5-gallon Betta tank with just one Betta, plants (sometimes live, sometimes fake), a heater, a nice "hidey-hole" cave type of decoration, and usually a feeding ring (until I found "The Floating Log" - boy, do Bettas LOVE that!!!). Like most of you, I've grieved the loss of many fish over the years, mostly from unknown internal things that medicine and pristine water couldn't cure (usually only the "old" fish). Coming from local pet stores like PetSmart, I know my fish aren't necessarily the healthiest, genetically strongest fish available; but I feel good knowing that I gave them a safe, loving home for the rest of their lives (however long or short that may be). I'm so glad I found this site. So many people don't think fish have feelings or personality; but they most certainly do! Each and every one of mine touched my heart in a special way, and I grieved for them all when they died. I feel like I'm among friends here.

But to this day, I've NEVER had a fish with a tumor like this! I've had a female Platy who I strongly suspected had Lymphocystitis, based on presentation and symptoms and zero effect from medication (yet she still lived about as long as my other female Platies, and none of my other fish contracted the illness from her); but the grossly enormous growth my female Betta, Disco, now has is downright alarming to me. I'm pretty sure it's benign (as most tumors are); but it will definitely take her life, prematurely, as fast as it's growing and spreading. This thing started out as a slightly protruding swelling on her left side, just behind her stomach. Having raised many Bettas, I did the "peas" treatment, hoping it was just constipation. She ate the peas eagerly for about 4 days! None of my other Bettas cared for peas at all. The swelling continued to get larger and larger; and now, three weeks later, the lump itself is the size of a pea sticking off the side of her body! My poor baby!!! :'( It's definitely internal, and not a skin tumor. Her scales aren't "pineconed" on it, like with Dropsy (yeah, I've seen that a couple times in the past too). It is now spreading throughout her abdomen; and her whole stomach, including her other side, is all big and swollen. I did actually get the chance to see her poop a couple days ago (funny how Bettas tend to poop when no one is EVER looking at them!); it looked totally normal. She's still very alert, and will try to come to the front of her tank when I walk over there; but she spends 90% of the time resting. She still acts like she wants to eat; and she does (flake food; I only give her one tiny piece at a time, so she's not overfed by no means). Although I did notice her spitting food out after initially taking it in yesterday.

I took several pics today to show you what the tumor looks like and where it is. And one pic that showed how beautiful she was BEFORE she got sick. As far as I know, she hasn't been overly stressed; water condition is good; nice and warm 80-82 degrees; just like always; Ammonia and Nitrite are zero like always; Nitrates are very low. I adopted her from Petco just over one year ago.

Any thoughts on what can cause this? How much longer she might live? Like with all my other fish, my heart is breaking for her. :'( But on a side note, I did just today find that Finquel Aquatic Anesthetic is easily available online, without a prescription. Apparently it's the only FDA-approved method for both anesthetizing AND euthanizing fish. I have read about clove oil, followed by vodka once the fish is totally unconscious; but I also read that clove oil can be irritating to fish, causing more stress and pain before they "sleep" (it also said to immediately wash any of it off your hands because it's so irritating to your skin; so that made me do a little more research on humane aquatic euthanasia). I'm ordering it tonight, to keep on hand (especially since all 4 of the fish in my big tank are well in their "golden years" and spend all their time resting/hiding). You can get it for about $20-26 for a 5 gram bottle. I called the company who manufactures it, and they said that it can maintain at least 98% efficacy for up to 3 years after the bottle has been opened (it's a powder). So no more watching my babies lie at the bottom of the tank, not eating, gasping for air, suffering horribly for WEEKS and WEEKS. I'm experienced enough to know when they're "too far gone," and meds don't work. If a terminally ill fish doesn't die quickly (like, three days of no eating/gasping/obvious suffering) then I'm putting them out of their misery. I've had a few fish that were in that state for OVER A MONTH. I kept begging God every day to PLEASE, TAKE THEM HOME TO YOU!!! I wish I had found Finiquel 4 years ago.

Anywho, here's the pics. The first pic was when my light fixture actually worked, and I briefly had a lovely compact fluorescent bulb in it, illuminating her spectacularly. Unfortunately, my stupid cheap tank corroded the light fixture and broke it for good; so all subsequent pics are "non-tank fixture illluminated." I did just buy a new, different tank a couple days ago that should be MUCH easier; but I'll wait until after Disco passes on to set it up. I don't want to stress her out anymore. But again, I digress (sorry!).

1) Here's my beloved Disco, exactly 4 months ago: when she was vibrant, healthy, and absolutely beautiful

2) She's in her floating log, facing you (huge lump on HER left, your right, sticking out); the whitish "orb" at the top is a suction cup, sorry

3) Kinda blurry, but she's in her log again, this time facing AWAY from you; that horrible lighter-colored blob on her left side is the tumor sticking out :'( and again, the suction cup trying to steal the limelight

4) Laying in the corner, by her moss ball, with the tumor facing you; kinda hard to see how enormous it is from this angle, but you can see that her skin over the tumor is overall "normal" looking (no sores, hemorrhaging, damaged scales, fungus, etc.)

5) Lying at the bottom, with the tumor facing you, and the blue airstone behind her; and also an annoying wire in the extreme foreground (my camera flash went off for this pic)

6) Resting in her log again, with the huge tumor hanging out over the edge of the log :'(

Anyone have any thoughts? Experiences? Condolences? Anything to share at all? My heart is breaking for Disco right now. :'( At the very least, maybe some of my pics will somehow help others to see, explain, or understand what kind of tumors Bettas can get. I will definitely keep you updated on Disco's condition.

Thanks in advance for any advice or help, or just for reading this (I tend to write a lot, sorry).

Attachments

• Disco healthy.jpg
    Disco healthy.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 4,731
  • Disco 1.JPG
    Disco 1.JPG
    153.6 KB · Views: 1,207
  • Disco 2.JPG
    Disco 2.JPG
    156.2 KB · Views: 774
  • Disco 3.JPG
    Disco 3.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 807
  • Disco 5.JPG
    Disco 5.JPG
    170.8 KB · Views: 1,008
  • Disco 4.jpg
    Disco 4.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 2,463
octonaut
Can't really help, just wanted to say how sorry I was for your pretty girl.

JessiNoel21
I am sry this has happened to your beautiful girl but I do know what is it is a tumor(I can not recall the name) that grows to the point of breaking open the skin and killing the fish. I had a Betta die from it three years ago.I am sorry I could not say it was something you could cure I loss my betta Liberty last night due to shipping stress and swim bladder disorder. I would say send her home to the big wild pond in Heaven. I am sry again .

soltarianknight
Looks like a bacterial ulcer, id treat marcyn2 immeadiatley.

JessiNoel21
Looks like a bacterial ulcer, id treat marcyn2 immeadiatley.

That is what it is called ty soltarian I could not think of it. Marcyn 2 will cure it if it was caught in time. I hope it was cuz I did not and loss my betta to it.

twister.mama
Thanks, everyone. I do have Maracyn 2 on hand I will start it immediately. She is not doing well at all. :'( She lays around all the time, and even eating seems difficult for her now. I hope she isn't too far gone. I love my little baby. :'(

twister.mama
I'm so sorry for your loss, Jessi. :'(

soltarianknight
Best of luck, I really hope this works. However, if after 1-2 treatments she shows no progress then it may be time to let her go.

Lucy
I'm so sorry your betta isn't well.
One of my Betta's Puppy Dog Eyezz (yes that her name!) had a tumor just like that on both sides.
I should say I assumed it was a tumor.

Make her as comfortable as you can. You might want to lower the water level so it's not a struggle to get to he top.

Good luck!

JessiNoel21
)
I'm so sorry for your loss, Jessi. :'(

Ty I was very attached to him seeing I had him from 5 Weeks old to 2 yrs old(my friend thought she had to females turned out she had a small male and female and the had babies before she knew it )

twister.mama
Poor Disco is still hanging in there somehow. She does still eat; but it wears her out. I've done two doses of Maracyn 2 already (Monday and Tuesday evening), about to do the third dose now. She's definitely not getting better, only worse. I think I'll lose my mind if this tumor-thing bursts open! OMG, my poor baby!!! :'( I tried to get a good look at it, and it doesn't seem like it's "solid." Since her skin is stretched so tightly over it, it kind of almost seems fluid-filled? I have NEVER seen anything like this! All I know is that it's getting bigger, and the other side of her stomach looks more swollen. She's suffering. I've got some Finquel on order, but it probably won't arrive for a few days. I need to put her to rest. It's obvious she's not going to make it. So, does the clove oil, followed by vodka really work? Without causing burning or pain? Because I'm probably gonna have to run out tomorrow and get some of both. :'(

Thank you everyone for your help and condolences.

Lucy
I'm really sorry

I tried everything with Puppy Dog Eyezz.
Nothing helped.
She slipped away on her own.

I have used Clove Oil and vodka twice.
Both times it was very peaceful.

:console:

JessiNoel21
Poor Disco is still hanging in there somehow. She does still eat; but it wears her out. I've done two doses of Maracyn 2 already (Monday and Tuesday evening), about to do the third dose now. She's definitely not getting better, only worse. I think I'll lose my mind if this tumor-thing bursts open! OMG, my poor baby!!! :'( I tried to get a good look at it, and it doesn't seem like it's "solid." Since her skin is stretched so tightly over it, it kind of almost seems fluid-filled? I have NEVER seen anything like this! All I know is that it's getting bigger, and the other side of her stomach looks more swollen. She's suffering. I've got some Finquel on order, but it probably won't arrive for a few days. I need to put her to rest. It's obvious she's not going to make it. So, does the clove oil, followed by vodka really work? Without causing burning or pain? Because I'm probably gonna have to run out tomorrow and get some of both. :'(

Thank you everyone for your help and condolences.

I am sorry you had to put to sleep but yes Clove oil and Vodka works great and they do not suffer at all I am sorry again.

twister.mama
My sweet little Disco is now at peace, and no longer suffering. The Finquel came in today (I had it shipped Next Day Air), and I just put her to rest a little while ago. God, it hurts so bad. :'( I'm so grateful that I was able to put her to sleep quickly and painlessly, before that enormous tumor-thing burst (it looked like it could've popped any second). Mommy loves you, Disco. I'll never forget the joy you brought to my life. :'( :'( :'(

Donnerjay
I'm so sorry for your loss.

For what it's worth, I think you did the right thing. It was hard for me to see those pictures of her side. You took great care of her and loved her very much.

Lucy
I'm so sorry.
RIP beautiful Disco.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AJ34
  • Question
Replies
Views
Jo7984
Replies