Massive Hole In Nerite Snail's Shell

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
From the pic, it doesn't look that bad. If the hole were on a different part of his shell, I'd euthanize. I lost a snail that way - accidentally dropped him in the tub when I was cleaning the driftwood he was attached to, and he got a hole in the back part of his shell. He didn't make it

Jen86

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
From the pic, it doesn't look that bad. If the hole were on a different part of his shell, I'd euthanize. I lost a snail that way - accidentally dropped him in the tub when I was cleaning the driftwood he was attached to, and he got a hole in the back part of his shell. He didn't make it
Oh that sucks, I'm sorry.

Yeah I saw him actually eating the algae wafer I put in his little bowl this morning so I'm going to move him into my 1 gallon and see how he does.

CHoman

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm catching up on this thread and I'm glad to see that it looks like you are going to let him fight! . I think his shell can heal and has a better chance since your betta doesn't bother him.
I love my nerites so much, I'm hoping your little one pulls through quickly.

I actually have low kh (0-1 from tap, with crushed coral, it's about 7) and a highish ph (7.8-8). When I've added cuddlebone, I add a very little amount and it's never really had any change on the ph. Not sure if the coral helps keep it steady or what, but no changes.

Good luck!

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I agree with the others to add cuttlebone to the tank to give him the necessary minerals to repair. Your other option is to buy something like Seachem Replenish which is a liquid calcium/magnesium supplement and won't raise PH or KH, just the GH.

I think thats slime coat/mucus coming out of him from the injury.....not necessarily tissue.

Also, in regards to ammonium in your tap water, that is directly related to your ph. If you have a ph of 7.6 or so though, the .25 should be harmless.

Jen86

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree with the others to add cuttlebone to the tank to give him the necessary minerals to repair. Your other option is to buy something like Seachem Replenish which is a liquid calcium/magnesium supplement and won't raise PH or KH, just the GH.

I think thats slime coat/mucus coming out of him from the injury.....not necessarily tissue.

Also, in regards to ammonium in your tap water, that is directly related to your ph. If you have a ph of 7.6 or so though, the .25 should be harmless.
Ah, okay. I was wondering what that was, I couldn't find any pictures of it or explanations of it online.

If I use the ph lowering products (as my tank water can occasionally get to 8) will that affect the harmlessness of the ammonium? Is there any way to insure that it's harmless?

Thank you for your help!

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
A PH of 8 is perfectly fine and I'd never use ph lowering products. They will just back fire on you. With a higher KH, at best they will temporarily lower ph but it will just buffer it and it will bounce back up which is very stressful for the fish and can lead to disease and death. Lots of people here have a ph of 8. My patio pond is about 8.6! And my indoor tanks are at 7.9 because I use RO and re-mineralized them.

A cycled tank will never have ammonia levels you can register on the API test. Even after a water change, it will quickly convert your low levels to nitrates. I'd just recommend having Seachem Prime and using it with your water changes, it will detoxify any of the ammonia from your tap until it is converted over to nitrates.

Jen86

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A PH of 8 is perfectly fine and I'd never use ph lowering products. They will just back fire on you. With a higher KH, at best they will temporarily lower ph but it will just buffer it and it will bounce back up which is very stressful for the fish and can lead to disease and death. Lots of people here have a ph of 8. My patio pond is about 8.6! And my indoor tanks are at 7.9 because I use RO and re-mineralized them.

A cycled tank will never have ammonia levels you can register on the API test. Even after a water change, it will quickly convert your low levels to nitrates. I'd just recommend having Seachem Prime and using it with your water changes, it will detoxify any of the ammonia from your tap until it is converted over to nitrates.
Awesome, thank you. I won't use the ph stuff then.

Oh, I meant ammonium. My API test kit doesn't differentiate between ammonia and ammonium. And Prime converts ammonia to ammonium, doesn't it? My tap water always registers 0.25 ppm ammonia, but the test says it tests for NH3 and NH4, so it doesn't differentiate between the two. I believe it's ammonium that's in my tap, not ammonia. I do use Prime with every water change and I do 25% changes in my 2.5 gallon tanks every other day and, a 10% water change in my ten gallon once a week, and a 25% water change in my 5 gallon once a week.

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Total-Ammonia-Nitrogen-Table-Small.jpg
Yeah prime converts ammonia to ammonium for up to 48 hours.

Whether its ammonia or ammonium is directly related to temperature and ph, I'll see if i can find a pic I like.

I'd increase your 10g tank to at least a 30%WC and a 40-50% in your 5g. More clean water is always better.

Jen86

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
View attachment 323930 Yeah prime converts ammonia to ammonium for up to 48 hours.

Whether its ammonia or ammonium is directly related to temperature and ph, I'll see if i can find a pic I like.

I'd increase your 10g tank to at least a 30%WC and a 40-50% in your 5g. More clean water is always better.
Oh wow, I like that table! I'll definitely up the water changes. Thank you so much for your help!

I'm glad he is eating and still active.
Yes, I just put him in the 1 gallon hospital tank to see how he does. He's crawling all over the walls and seems to be enjoying himself, so as long as he continues to eat and be active, I'm hoping he'll be okay.

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'd get the cuttlebone and/or a calcium supplement. It will help him regenerate his shell quickly. Some people say their snails will crawl right up on the cuttlebone and munch on it.

Jen86

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd get the cuttlebone and/or a calcium supplement. It will help him regenerate his shell quickly. Some people say their snails will crawl right up on the cuttlebone and munch on it.
Awesome, thank you! I'm picking that up today.

Jayd976

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Why not? Like I said I've never used it so I'm trying to learn. Even with humans freezing to death doesn't really hurt.
may not hurt but its certainly not a comfortable way to die. You certainly do suffer until you die. We wear jackets and warm clothes in the winter for a reason.

Books&Fish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I didn't read all the responses, but I've had a few nerites with shell pieces missing. They weren't all the way to white tissue, but definitely to the yellow-colored. I do have cuttlebones in all tank and I have hard water. I would guess it's an injury.

None of mine died. All healed just fine.

On a side note, I never saw my nerites directly eat cuttlebone, but my mysteries chow down on it daily.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom