Massive Guppies Question

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by Discus-Tang, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Discus-Tang

Discus-TangWell Known MemberMember

So on campus we have this huge fish tank (1000 gallons or so) stocked mostly with nano fish. Though I see something odd in it. There are these female guppies that are nearly 6". It's so weird. They aren't mollies or swordtails. It's strange, because you just see these male guppies come up next to them, about 1/5 of the size.

Why are they so big?

2. Dch48

Dch48Well Known MemberMember

Females do get bigger but 6"? That's huge.

The biggest male guppy I ever had was originally an adult female that changed into a male because I had separated the sexes for selective breeding. The one tank was all female and one of them , the biggest one, changed over into a male.

3. OP
    OP
    Discus-Tang

I think they're about 5". I'll put a photo up tomorrow (oh wait, it's the weekend lol).

4. Dch48

Guppies just don't get that big. The only thing I can find that does is the giant Molly.

5. Gypsy13

Gypsy13Fishlore VIPMember

My female guppies are bigger than my giant danio. And they’re just plain Jane guppies.

6. OP
    OP
    Discus-Tang

So strange. There are mollies in this tank but the guppy gals are considerably larger...

7. Fanatic

FanaticFishlore VIPMember

Photo? Looking forward to seeing the self-proclaimed “MEGA guppy:D

8. OP
    OP
    Discus-Tang

I won't be in uni over the weekend, maybe next week :)

My camera is bad so don't complain if it's just a blur lol

9. JoeCamaro

JoeCamaroWell Known MemberMember

Following. I'm also interested in seeing them.

10. emeraldking

emeraldkingWell Known MemberMember

Also I'm curious for a picture. It might be a different livebearer. But I've seen guppies of 4 inches in the past. But those were kept in large ponds during the 1970's and 1980's.

11. OP
    OP
    Discus-Tang

Fish are definitely different nowadays.

12. Dch48

Every source says guppies max out at 2.5" but who knows?

13. emeraldking

emeraldkingWell Known MemberMember

True! There are way more varieties these days...

Well, only the standard sources. But yes, they´ve got the potential to grow up bigger than 2,5inches. But not many will...

14. Buganjimo

BuganjimoWell Known MemberMember

I’m wondering if the excess space caused them to grow bigger? Like emeraldking said they had 4” guppies in a large pond, and these guppies are in a very large tank. Maybe? It doesn’t seem very scientific or anything but thats just my thought

15. JoeCamaro

Well, funny thing is that I never heard about such big guppies until this thread, but curiously a few days after this thread was posted I was watching a video on YouTube about raising guppies outdoors in ponds and there was a conversation in the comment about how big guppies used to get in the past and how people don't seem to remember that.

16. Gypsy13

Gypsy13Fishlore VIPMember

I remember. Yes I’m old. :)

17. JoeCamaro

Oh Gypsy, I didn't mean to call you old, haha. You just have a good memory.;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice