mass suicidal fish

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
a strange thing happened to me tonight 1 of my black mollies jumped out of my tank so I put it back in. It jumped straight out of my tank again so I put it back in. without saying the same thing again and again the same thing happened. the same fish (I can tell its got a huge lyre shaped tail. The others dont) jumped out and was put back in the tank for a total of 7 times.

The first thing I did was check my water everything is at zero. I did a 50% water change yesterday (normally I only do about 20% every week but I do 50% once a month or every two months).

Also I have lost about 7 or 8 fish(all juvenile black mollies ) in the last week as for some strange reason they have decided to swim down the floating protien skimmer thing on my filter into the impeller. I covered the skimmer with a filter sponge yesterday to stop this.

I know many marine animal will commit mass suicide but has any one ever had tropical fish do this and does anyone know what might be the cause.

lorianne621

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
That is very strange. I don't keep mollies and have never had a similar experience. I remember my brother had some sort of fish that jumped out of the tiniest of holes on the lid of his tank... not mollies and they were known for doing that very thing. I can't remember what they were and it was years ago.

I hope someone comes to help you soon. Good luck.

fishynoob

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
You haven't been forcing them to listen to Justin Beiber have you?
On a more serious note I know some animals act strange like that when there is a storm approaching. I really have no clue but I will be watching this thread like a hawk.

I know hatchet fish like to tank jump!

tropicalfishlover

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Out of all of my mollies I used to have I never dealt with them jumping...is this the molly in your profile?

plecodragon

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hope your fish are okay. You might want to check your heater for any problems. I read once that a heater malfunctioned and was slowly leaking electricity into the water, fish started dying and some tried to jump out. Also what sized tank are they in, mollies need space to swim, if they are overcrowding they may be trying to leave. Good luck.

OP
S

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
fishynoob I would of drowned my self in their tank if I had to listen to Justin Beiber.

tropicalfishlover What molly in my profile?

plecodragon I just tuched the heater and couldnt feel anything so I don't think its leakin electricity into the water.

As for stocking I have 1 black molly that's about 1 inch 3 that are about half an inch and four that are around a cm in size.

If it was more then one fish I wold be less concerned the fact that it was the same fish 7 times to jump out after having 7 or 8 fish commit suicide by impeller last week.

OP
S

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
sort of. I'm selecting breeding my mollies to see how long I can get their tail fin in a lyre shape with a slI'm body shape. I have 3 generation and the fourth should be born in the next few days.
I have given away about a hundred so far.

Lilibeth_Seasong

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Most often when a fish jumps out of the tank it is because it is trying to escape something Whether that be contaminated or uncycled water, or another aggressive fish. You may be getting false readings from your test kit. I do not know if you have access to the API Freshwater Master Test Kit, but if you do that would be a better one to use.

frampy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have had fish jump out before but never 7 times. Do you have lids on that tank? If not I would look into it.

OP
S

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
no I cannot have a hood on my tank and as I have lucky bamboo and spider plants growing out the back.
Why would API I be a better test kit I get my testing kit from the agricultural university so I am as confident as can be that its reading are perfect. also most brand name test kits cost over $60 or $70 and the last I bought turned out to be fake.

psalm18.2

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
50l is only 13 gallons, small for 7 molly fish. Do yourself a favor and get a lid.

May be some aggression in the tank and it's too small to escape the other fish.

OP
S

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
considering the size of the fish the tank is not too small.
As I said I can't put a lid on the tank as there are plants growing out of it so how would putting a lid on it be doing myself a favor.

macca

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I had guppies jump out of my tank. Water quality and parameter, stable. After some research, it is apparent that it's in their nature to do so. It's part of their evolutionary purpose. This theory was suggested by a biologist after some tests on guppies jumping. I'm guessing would be a similar reason for most tropical fish.

Search for jumping jack guppy. I have the link on there as well as a documented video.

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've got an aggressive female fancy guppy that has caused the death of 2 others because she is so aggressive. The first time one jumped out, it was through the small opening by the filter. The 2nd time, after I bought them a larger tank (they were then 3 in an Evolve 8), it was through the small feeding hole. I did try taking her out, but then immediately another one became the aggressor. If you can get some window screen material, this is one way to keep them in. You could also use an old tank divider, some cutting boards, whatever. If you have time to observe them, and there's only 1 aggressor, take that fish out and put somewhere else. If it's a group ganging up on someone, take that one out. It will take some time observing to see how the pecking order change.

psalm18.2

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You can always remove the plants for a cover.

Edmund

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What usable experience I have with mollys, mine used to be quite exciteable. The ones I have now this is still true. I worry about one finding a way out the hole near my filter too when she gets all excited (For food, noless). It wouldn't surprise me if whatever starting point for stress/excitement (other fish, smallish tank size? Whichever) wasn't just mentally snowballing each time they wound up out of and plunked back into the tank.

New Threads