Mass death of shrimp can anyone advise

Nefersmum

I'm in bits! I came down this morning to find pretty much my entire tank of cherry shrimp with their little feet in the air. I've no idea what's happened. I've tried to take out as many of the little corpses as I can but I'm battling against the plants. It's awful!

Everything was running well 0 ammonia and nitrites, ph around 6.5-7 and nitrates around 5-10. All the readings have been stable for weeks.

Each of them looked as if they'd suffered a haemorrhage of some kind.

Can anyone advise?

Attachments

• IMG_20221007_070501_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221007_070501_HDR.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 21

Blacksheep1

Oh no. I’m so sorry this happened. Can you take clearer photos of the shrimps in water if possible. Has any hardware failed? Did you touch the tank at all yesterday as in put your hands in ? Has anything new been added recently ? What is your kh and water change schedule ?

richiep

I am so sorry after all the hard work youve put in
First check the temperature without putting your hands in (have you cooked them) if alls fine there its a classic case of toxic poisoning.
Air fresheners, hand cream, used bucket thats had bleech in or some kind of fertiliser, Any new food you've used, veg fed in the past 24hrs.
Onto of what Blacksheep1 as suggested look down those lines and see if something pops up.

Nefersmum

I tested the water earlier and the parameters were shockingly high but that could be due to the number of dead shrimp. I did a hurried water change and took out so many of the poor things. The tank has been completely stable for months.

I'll try and get some better pictures but what seems to be the same with all the shrimp is the red blob in each of them which looks like a haemorrhage of some kind.

The only different thing is that I gave them a piece of chunky mineral bite yesterday which I'm never using again!

Attachments

• IMG_20221007_070451_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221007_070451_HDR.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 16

Blacksheep1

Huh … so the red is not usually there ? I want to say rust disease but it does not usually look like that. It sounds like the mineral block could be the culprit though … I wonder if it’s affected the chitin somehow. How long was it left in the tank ?

Nefersmum

Huh … so the red is not usually there ? I want to say rust disease but it does not usually look like that. It sounds like the mineral block could be the culprit though … I wonder if it’s affected the chitin somehow. How long was it left in the tank ?
These were Glasgarten Junkie bites. They came as a sample with the Glasgarten shrimp baby food. I put a tiny piece in with their usual wafer

Blacksheep1

If nothing was sprayed near the tank , no hand lotion etc introduced I can only guess it was the food, but I wouldn’t expect that from that brand !

Are you still having losses ? How many do you have left ? :( I’m gutted for you

86 ssinit

Because of how fast they died I’m thinking some type of bug spray was sprayed near the tank. If it’s the mineral I’d complain to the company.

Nefersmum

I was heartbroken too. They were doing so well.

I wasn't sure I had any left but when I did a speedy water change I still had some although I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I'll do another test tonight and another water change in the morning if only to remove more of the poor little things. I could move some of the survivors to my holding tank and hope it works.

I did notice that a lot of my snails were gathered at the waterline although there weren't any dead snails I could see

richiep

If memory serves the last die off like this I think it was @JettsPapa now ProudPapa and the carapace colour was the same, that's not disease or the junkie balls, glasgarten are A1 with food, I've been using junkies for years and really don't think it's them.
I'm still thinking something toxic, the snails coming to the surface is a strong indicator there's a water problem, they do this to look for new water. I was thinking on the lines of lettuce,spinach or the like that may have bug spray on when I questioned food

Nefersmum

That's possible now I think on it. Last Friday I gave them some broccoli which I'd blanched. I didn't make any connection because it was a week ago.

I feel terrible now. You think you are giving them a treat.

I was planning to do a water change tomorrow as I did one already today but would I be best to do one again tonight? Would it be too much in one day?

richiep

Under the circumstances I would look at another water change 24hrs later or earlier, 50/60% try and get the temperatures the same this will allow for a big change
Take the water from the bottom of the tank as close as possible to the gravel and sucking any dead on the way, toxins tend to congregate on the bottom, don't forget the prime,

Nefersmum

Makes sense. I'll give that a try.

Home grown veggies from now on methinks

Blacksheep1

I hope you can save some. My fingers are crossed for you.

I don’t know where abouts in the U.K. you are , but I’m happy to give you some red neos if you lose them all ( hopefully you won’t !) if you’re close enough to me.

Nefersmum

I'm in the East of England. I'm hoping some can be saved. I started with only 5 and I lost count of how many I ended up with. It's just too sad

Blacksheep1

Fingers crossed it doesn’t come to that !

RedGallant

I've had a similar experience, after I moved tanks and had to drain water, but kept buckets of water from before they were moved, all of the shrimp eventually crawled out of the tank and ended up across the house. And dried up on the floor, my Mom even stepped on one during the night

86 ssinit

Sorry to hear and I hope some survive. But wouldn’t blanching the veggies clean off any chemicals that were on them? I thought that’s why we do that.

Nefersmum

I thought so too but I can't think of anything else to have caused the problem.

I've done a massive clean. I didn't realise how many of the little blighters were in the tank but I got most of the dead ones out I think. What a horrible job! I was really upset to find my two Armano amongst the fallen. I'd had them ages.

I hooked out about 10 in the cleanings and put them in my 54 ltr so hopefully that'll be a good start of a new colony until the main tank is settled but I think about half a dozen remain in the big tank. I started with only 5 so I'm hopeful it'll kick start again.

When things are settled I might see about adding some other colours in for a change. I did want a mixed colour tank because I'd heard that it led to new babies eventually having the shrimp's natural wild colour. Not sure how true that is but we'll give it some thought in a few weeks

Blacksheep1

Eventually they’ll go back to wild brown , which is still interesting to be honest , but that’ll be a few generations down the line. You’ll get some interesting colours and mixes first.

Nefersmum

I have noticed that the water is a bit cloudy since the clean - not massively so it's possible it is just as a result of the disturbance to the gravel while I was gathering up the remains and it'll settle in a day or two. I used Prime, of course, but is there anything else I should be using?

Blacksheep1

If it’s a hazy kind of cloudiness , do a full round of tests. It could be a bacteria bloom but you want to make sure your cycle is processing still working okay.

Just do a double check there’s no bodies hiding under a plant or something. Shrimp are quite sensitive to ammonia and nitrite so just a heads up. I’m kind of not surprised by this , either because of what caused the die off , some dead ones still in the tank or a huge drop in bioload.

I wouldn’t add anything else to this tank at the minute no. Do another partial water change if your tests are off , temp matched and drip it slowly back in.

Nefersmum

Thanks for your advice. You've been a godsend over the last couple of days.

The water's much more clear this morning. I'm going to test/water change and I have noticed a couple of little bodies in the weed so I'll get them out.

Considering the numbers I took out - i lost count there were so many - I wondered if it nothing more that too many in a 90lt tank along with my flotilla of ramshorns. Is it possible that this could have caused a crash?

Blacksheep1

You’re more than welcome . It’s awful to not be sure what to do.

In short no . If you did regular water changes then no, it won’t have been that. I’ve got my colony in a 70L. My sister had 100’s in her 40L cube , now hers did crash but that was because she was working a new job, doing uni at night and has a family, she neglected it causing the kh to get used up, her pH dropped and that was it.

I’m still leaning towards a contaminant, it can be so small for shrimp it’s easily done. One lady used a jug to water house plants that had fertiliser in it and used it on a tank after rinsing.

See what your test results come back at and remove those bodies. It’s easy to over compensate and do too much. Are the rest moving around normally or are they sedentary?

Nefersmum

I tested this morning - horrible results - so another water change and use of my trusty turkey baster on the last few dead ones.

The survivors are buzzing around like loonies so they seem ok. Weirdly the PH was the same as it has been for months 6.5 although everything else was poisonous. No snails lost that I could find either.

I'm reassured I didn't overload. I knew there were loads in there just not the numbers I pulled out fins up.

Did someone say aquatics was a nice, relaxing hobby??

Blacksheep1

Aw no. What were your results ?

You’ve done everything you can, keep testing for a few days until you’re happy with it again. Just drip the water back slowly and you should be ok.

The fact your pH is the same makes me confident it’s not a bioload issue.

It is relaxing when things are going smoothly !!! When it isn’t then …. :oops::rolleyes::(

At least you’ve got a good chance of repopulating and a back up started in another tank. I really hope the rest are okay for you.

Nefersmum

I'm slightly stunned. I have far more survivors than I could have hoped for including some tinies. I felt sure they would have been the first to keel over. I did water changes over 3 days and tested again tonight.

PH 6.5 - Unchanged from last reading on Saturday

Ammonia - I'm reading as a cautious 0.2 possibly although it's hard to call as it isn't quite the 'wee yellow' I would have hoped for but not far off. Saturday's reading was 2.0.

Nitrite - today 0 against Saturday's 2

Nitrate - today 10 (this tank tends to be at that level on a permanent basis). Saturday's was 40.

I haven't seen any more dead ones, the water's looking clear and everyone seems to be buzzing around like normal.

I might do another w/c tomorrow because of that dubious ammonia but I'm cautiously optimistic

Blacksheep1

That’s fantastic news !! I’m thrilled for you.

you may want to drink more water though if that’s your wee colour ;)

ProudPapa

I'm slightly stunned. I have far more survivors than I could have hoped for including some tinies. I felt sure they would have been the first to keel over. I did water changes over 3 days and tested again tonight.

Hello. I'm glad things have turned the corner. I'm not surprised you're finding small shrimp. They often adapt to changing water conditions better than older shrimp.

Nefersmum

That’s fantastic news !! I’m thrilled for you.

you may want to drink more water though if that’s your wee colour ;)

I'm so sad that I used to have a routine on my Alexa. Hearing the cry 'It's wee yellow ' she'd crack out Congratulations by Cliff Richard
Hello. I'm glad things have turned the corner. I'm not surprised you're finding small shrimp. They often adapt to changing water conditions better than older shrimp.
Thanks all for your advice once again
Thanks all for your advice once again

Blacksheep1

I'm so sad that I used to have a routine on my Alexa. Hearing the cry 'It's wee yellow ' she'd crack out Congratulations by Cliff Richard

don’t be sad, you can still use that routine. Your colony isn’t gone yet. Just keep diligent and they’ll be ok.

you’ll get it back to where it was

Nefersmum

It's coming good, thank goodness

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Marlene327
Replies
Views
itsEmma
Replies
Views