Marty

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well, Marty has always been a bit of a brat and kind of popular on the site so I thought I would give you all a progress report. I have so far done 4 water changes of 75% to 90% and he is still not doing well. He seems to be having the trouble with using his Labyrinth organ that was mentioned in the Melafix alert that I posted. I have put a carbon filter in the tank and cleaned the sponge filter and the tank completely. I feel this is all I can do. There is no smell of the medication left in the tank and as far as I can tell no surface that the medication can have settled on or be on. The carbon has been running since last night and I even put a clean carbon in this morning after doing another water change.

I am just hoping that by evening he will show some signs of the Melafix working out of his system.

If any of you are having severe reactions in your fish because of the medication please let us know.

Rose

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear about Marty. Mr Red has been acting the same way the last few days. What about the Pimafix, is that ok to use still? Since they are used together. Natalie

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I hope and pray that Marty gets through this. I know that you are giving him the best care you can.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
There was no mention about Pimafix in the article and so I cannot give evidence to it being bad.  I can only say that it will NOT be used on my bettas because I feel that since they are companion meds that I am too worried about it to use it.

I am sorry about Mr. Red. If there is anything I can do please let me know. I do hope that we are able to get our babies through this.

They do both remain safe for fish who are not on the list of Labyrinth fishes.

Rose

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I hope your Marty pulls through this ordeal, Rose.  Barney and I are both thinking about you and Marty and wishing you the best.

CherryRose---Mommy to Barney Betta

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I hope Marty and Mr. Red recover. Keep us updated.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
From me & my fishies:

AesSedai

Valued Member
Reaction score
((Rose)) ((Natalie))

I'm so sorry your Bettas are having a rough time.  It's terrible that a medicine meant to help them harmed them instead!
I will keep Marty and Mr. Red and the both of you in my thoughts.  Sending health and love energy your way. 

Namaste Dear Ones

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thank you for all of the wonderful thoughts and concerns. We can only hope and pray that both Marty and Mr Red will get through this. I have complete faith that they will. Natalie `

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thank you all. I am sure that both Marty and Mr. Red appreciate the sentiments as do I and I am sure Natalie.

It is sad that Marty has stopped eating and swimming in spite of MANY water changes and even transferring him to a tank where there has been no Melafix used. I do not think he is out of the woods by any means, but I have not given up hope.

Rose

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I very much appreciate all of the sentiments. I came home and checked on Mr Red right away. My husband said that he has been doing good. That he seemed to be a completely different fish from last the couple of days. He watched him swim around like crazy this afternoon. I am just grateful that he is doing better. I am surprised that he is better so soon because he's been on it so long. I'm sure that he still has a long way to go as he is still hanging out at the top quite a bit, but he is looking better. He is swimming a lot more sturdy. Chickadee I have complete faith that Marty will pull though this. I don't know how long Marty has been on the med, but if he's been on it as long as Mr Red has I'm sure he will be just fine. My thoughts remain with you and Marty and of course my Mr. Red. Natalie

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I got to thinking back and after my initial panic I realized that Marty had not made it to the first 7 day period yet!!! He was just not in good shape when he started it. He does not get sick often but when he does he gets sick fast and hard. He has also had Melafix more than one time in his life and I am wondering now if this may be why he gets so sick when he is unwell.

When I checked on him before the lights went out I got him to eat 1 worm and he swam about 1 1/2" then went back to floating. I will just keep an eye on him. I at least feel hopeful after he ate the worm.

Rose

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I am so glad to hear that he is atleast eating a little bit. That is a good sign. There is hope yet. Natalie

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am so glad to hear he ate something. Don't give up on him. Let us know how he is doing.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Update on Marty ~

Marty is starting to swim a bit more. I think I have done so many water changes that I am going to have a mini-cycle in my sponge filter but I had to rinse it good to get the Melafix out and may have rinsed the bacteria down a notch or two with the bath. He is still not eating more than one worm at a time a couple of times a day but he is going to be okay with that for a bit.

He is still floating a lot of the time but when the water is stirred up he swims more so I put a new filter in the EHEIM Liberty and am leaving it on the back of the tank on low and he does a lot more swimming and besides I figure you can't have water that is overfiltered that I know of and hopefully soon I will have 2 cycled filters on that tank and it sure does a great job with clarifying the water.

Winky (the Cory) is loving all these water changes and all the clean water. Not that the tank was dirty before but he has been so active since the water has been changed so much I have been afraid he would jump out at me when I open it up to feed them.

(Just on a side note, my "pygmy" cory is now bigger than Marty and growing!)

Rose

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I am glad he's doing better. Natalie

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thank you, Natalie. I know you have had a time with Mr. Red too and now to have to deal with a case of ICH. I do hope he is going to be okay.

Please do keep letting us know how he is doing.

Rose

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Barney and I are hoping for a speedy recovery for Mr. Red and Marty.  It's so hard on us when our babies are sick!  I know you are doing all you can, so keep on hanging on. Please continue to keep us posted!
CherryRose

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
MARTY IS A LITTLE FAKER!!!! I spent the entire night with getting up heating microwave warming pads for him because I had to remove him from his tank and put him in his Critter Keeper for the night until I could set up the tank I had sterilizing and running. I put EVERYTHING new into the tank....filter, airlines, airstones (2) as he was acting like he couldn't breathe, gravel, even a new heater in case it had been touched by tea oil. A new silk plant and then I felt really sorry for him and gave him an early Christmas present and gave him his new Covered Bridge that Santa brought him. He has a new ammonia detector and digital thermometer even~~~NOTHING that could have ever have been touched by MELAFIX. He was swimming around well in the Critter Keeper and had an airstone in there so was breathing well too ~~~ no coughing, but I couldn't warm it so I heated the microwave pads and wrapped them around the little tank and had to do it about every 90 minutes ALL NIGHT LONG.

This morning he goes into the tank in the den where he can see Alex and Emma and I all day and has a warm and pretty new tank with everything new. I had Bio-spira so it is even cycled. I watched him with a cosmetic mirror and he was swimming around happily. He had eaten like a little pig. Then I made the mistake of turning around and letting him see me watching him and he stopped swimming and started floating like he could not swim at all. Then he started coughing. Now he has 2 air stones and a sponge filter putting oxygen into the water and he had been fine until he saw me so I am wondering what is going on so I ignored it. I turned back to work. After a few minutes when I was watching in the mirror again, he was swimming and going through the bridge and all over the place. I do believe that he has gotten used to the attention and decided that being sick is pretty nice. Anyway, I am sure he was very sick when this first started and he does seem to still have a really strong reaction to the old tank so I won't be putting him back until I break it down and put all new equipment in it. (and the Covered Bridge) It may be after Christmas but he is fine here and seems to like it and he was sick enough that it doesn't hurt for him to be in a little smaller tank for a little while.

It really is a very good thing that he is not a child though or I would have been very tempted to send him to bed without supper at the least. (but I am so relieved that he is okay...I was so afraid he was not going to make it there for a while.)

Rose

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
What a little STINKER!! I guess Betta's really are smart little fish and know exactly what's going on. I am so glad that he is better. I knew that he would pull through it. Natalie

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom