Marty

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Marty seemed to develop quite a little following when he was a young one so I thought now that he was having some difficulties I would post a progress report on him for those who have watched him "grow up" (physically at least - I think he is still in puberty by his actions LOL)

He has had some finrot due I believe to the high Nitrate readings in our water. It is now unusual for it to climb to 40 if I am not constantly on the watch. (even with the use of Amquel+ and half RO water). Right now he is floating around in a carefully monitored q tank full of sulfa water. His fins haven't shown any further deterioration since he went into the tank and I have been doing water changes every other day as the medication requires. It just was such a surprise to see his long flowing fins just disintegrating before my eyes!

I am glad to report though that he does not know he is ill. He is eating like he could tear the bloodworms apart and likes his vitamins. He also is liking having his old rock cave back and spends a lot of time swimming in and out of it. I even put a couple of his old (soft) plants in there with him. He almost acts like he is having a vacation.

I have to cut this short We are having a tornado = bye
Rose

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
a tornado!!!!!!! Rose!!!!!! Glad Marty is hanging in there with spirit
Carol

ebbandflow

Reaction score
whoa tornado... hope your doin ok rose. that's gotta be scary.

I know what you mean about watching the long flowing fins disintegrate. So terrible.

I had a question... vitamins? Is there something I could be giving Satin that I'm not?? ;D. Also I had a question about what to do with satin now (the fungus clear is up today) but I'll do that in the other post.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
A tornado??!! I hope everything's ok!! If there's one thing I'm scared of it's tornados...and we don't even get them that often up here!

Well, I'm glad Marty is doing better. My Otos got finrot from high nitrate levels too. I hadn't realized that was such a major cause of the disease.

OP
chickadee

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Okay, I quit in mid-post and headed for the basement as it takes me a while to get there.  I have to admit I was a little nervous.  Those sirens make my blood pressure go up a bit.  The storm went to the south of town and was very small.  (3 miles south) but we had a really bad one a couple years back that took out about 30% of town so we don't take these things lightly.  EEK!  Anyway we are all okay and not even any buildings hurt.

The fish knew something was up.  They were at the bottom of their tanks and scared, wouldn't come up for anything.  I still really believe they react to weather.

Yes, I give my little ones Vitamins every day.  There are some who think I am a little overboard for doing this but it does say that it raises their immunity to disease and I am hoping they know what they are saying.  They mostly have been healthy.  I used to lose Otos almost all the time and I have kept this last bunch for quite a while and they are thriving.  As far as giving them to Satin or your other fish, it is your decision.  It wouldn't hurt them, but there are no guarantees on anything, I just do it for an extra insurance policy.  They aren't that expensive and I do so enjoy "spoiling" them a little.

I gave you a possible answer to the "what next" on the other post.

Thanks for your concern everyone, I was I admit a bit scared.

Rose

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Don't even mention those sirens...they set them off for every thunderstorm we get here...which are always in the middle of the night...I swear each one takes an hour off my lifespan... (not to mention my sleep)

Well, I'm glad everything's ok.

OP
chickadee

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well he returned home to his tank today. He is a little smaller (less finnage) and a little quieter than the Marty I know and love but it did my heart good to see him chase the Otos a bit when they teased him. He is better but his fins haven't really started to grow back yet. I am hoping his return to his old digs will help his recovery.

Rose

New Threads