Marty has left us.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Marty has had a steadily harder life since his run-in with the Melafix and Pimafix a while back. He stopped swimming except at meal time and then only long enough to eat one or two pieces of food and then back to floating. Two days ago he stopped eating all together and nothing I offerred him made the slightest difference. He gave up the fight tonight and was found on his side floating at the back of the tank when I went to feed him tonight.

I have done all that I could to try to make his last few days as good as possible, after acknowledging the fact that he was probably not going to be better. I could not bring myself to euthanize him as he really did not appear to be suffering and up until the last couple of days, he ate like a little trooper, "killing" his food at every meal just like always. His life was a struggle though as he was at the top all the time and just floating. He did not enjoy his life anymore, I think.

I am so sad, but at the same time happy for him as he can rest now. We had 7" of snow yesterday but I still managed to get to the dirt so he could be put in my little betta burial ground.

I am not sure what I will do about the tank, but since I had ordered a new betta for the tank in the bedroom with the loaches, I will have a new baby soon anyway. I just do not know about how I am going to find a boy to take the spot Marty filled.

R.I.P., my little boy. :'(

Rose
:'(

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
:'( :'( :'( :'(

Oh I am so sorry to hear that! You lost Emma not too long ago too. This must be so hard for you. I'm looking around now at all my babies, knowing that someday I'll lose them too and my heart feels heavy.
Marty had a great life and was luckier than so many other Bettas in the world who never find homes (or go to bad homes).  He is in a good place now and not suffering.

My thoughts are with you in this sad time.  :'(

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm so sorry about your loss, you can rest assured you gave him the best life possilbe and his death was a sacrifice for many other bettas who will not be treated with the bad medicine.

thinking of you

Austin

AesSedai

Valued Member
Reaction score
I am soo sorry Rose :'(

{{{Marty}}}

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Oh Rose!  I am so sorry!  I know you've been struggling with Marty's health for a long time.  You did everything you could for that little guy, so don't blame yourself for anything.  He had a great life, and it couldn't have been better with anyone else.  I am tryly sorry for your loss.   :'(  

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Rose I'm so sorry!!! I know he's been struggling for awhile. I just don't know what to say except I'm truly sorry
Carol

divakeeks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Rose,

I am so sorry. I know that doesn't even come close to comforting you. Sometimes that is all one can think of to say at a time like this. You are such an amazing woman to have overcome all obstacles that you've had and help all of us overcome ours. I am sure that Marty could not have been in more capable hands and even though he may have been ill, he felt very loved by you.

You have been there for me when I have gone through my betta troubles and, of course, I am here for you. Please let me know if you need anything.

Lilex is waving his fins at you as I've told him the news. We both feel like we've lost a friend.

Lots of love,

Kelly

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Rose,
i am so sorry for your loss! :'( i know how you feel - a few months ago i lost my betta, i am so sorry for you but know that you took really good care of him!! you did what was best for him. :'( Miley

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Rose,

It's so hard to say goodbye to any loving companion, and I know that that is what Marty was to you. Marty had a good life with you and I know you will always miss him. I am glad you were able to say goodbye and bury him in your betta burial grounds.

CherryRose

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am so sorry Rose. :'( :'( :'( :'( That is so sad to lose Marty. Just be glad that he had such a good life with you and is now happily in fishy heaven. You did everything you could for him.

kerryve

Valued Member
Reaction score
Oh Rose,

I am tremendously sorry to hear about your little boy! It really is so sad to lose your little friends especially at this time of the year when so much is happening all at once. My thoughts and hopes are with you!

love,

Kerry

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Sigh. That's too bad. I was actually just looking at your signature and thinking "well she's got Marty still from the old crew" but the poor little guy has gone. I'm sorry to hear that Rose. I know you loved him and looked after him well. Sickness puts such a strain on bettas and you did everything you could have. May Marty rest in peace.

LZ Floyd

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'm so sorry to hear about your losing Marty, Rose.  It sounds like he was part of your family for a long time.  One thing is certain, in your hands he had the best life a Betta could have.  Rest in peace, Marty.

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Oh Rose, I am so sorry to hear of your loss of Marty. I know you did everything you could for him after the bout with melafix. You and I were both very worried about our boys during that time. Even though we all would love for our pets to live forever with us there must be a time unfortunately that they too must past. However, when they are not doing well it is a blessing for them as they do not have to suffer anymore. I can understand your reasoning of not wanting to euthanize him. He's a part of your family. I had a dog many years ago and the vet wanted to Euthanize him when he had gotten sick, but my father along with the rest of us didn't have the heart to do that because he was our family and you simply just don't do that to a family member. It's just not right. But know this Rose, he lived a very happy and full life with you. May you rest in peace Marty. Mr. Red and I wish you the best. Natalie

AesSedai

Valued Member
Reaction score
Betta kept in the very best of conditions (like those who get to live with ((Rose))) I think can only live for 3 yrs. That's not a long time at all

If you have lots of Bettas and do that through the years, the number of times you have to say goodbye keeps going up

I look 10 years down the road. I'll never be without a Betta and they only get 3 yrs so I'm sure to say goodbye a few times at least. It sux...

I wouldn't have it any other way though. I know the conditions they are kept in at the stores. I get to help and love who knows how many until I say my goodbye too. I can't wait. I don't wish to rush my years, of course. I'm just soo in love with Bettas.

I wonder why they only have 3 yrs. Seems unfair for a creature with such a personality and bonding nature.

((Rose)) I'm so happy for all the Bettas of the future that get to be loved and cared for by you! I'm so happy too that loss hasn't discouraged you from inviting them into your life!

hopesmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Rose, you poor dear! My condolences to you. Sweet Marty was a beautiful betta, and you loved and cared for him so. We love you, Rose. We will keep you and all your fish in our prayers.
Denise & Hope

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Meet Marty Jr. ....... I think he kind of looks like him too?

Rose

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Rose he is very beautiful. He does look like marty a little bit. Marty Jr is perfect for him. When do you get him? Or did you already receive him?Natalie

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Wow, he's beautiful! Yeah actually he does remind me a bit of Marty...maybe it's his body shape or something.

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow, Marty Jr. is gorgeous!!! I love the coloring!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom