married mollies?????? Important

1. NAC1999

NAC1999 New Member Member

How do I tell if my mollies are mating?? and tell me about prgnecy? How long does it take for her to be and have her babies?????

I need help!!!!!

2. mathas

mathas Well Known Member Member

If you have a healthy non-juvenile male and a healthy non-juvenile female in the same tank, chances are quite high that they have mated already.

Females can drop fry roughly every four weeks.

3. OP
    OP
    NAC1999

How do I know If she is? The male has ben chasing her and piking at
    her underparts.

4. rae64

rae64 Well Known Member Member

I would put money on the fact that she is pregnant. She will get bigger and bigger and bigger, until she drops the fry. You need to decide if you want to keep the fry. You can either let nature take its course and have them get eaten (with maybe a few survivors) or keep them in a breeder trap and raise them that way. (or have a separate fry tank)

Parents will eat their own young, so breeder traps are a great option.

5. mathas

If she's still early in the pregnancy, you may not be able to visually tell.

As she gets closer to giving birth, her stomach will grow quite large and almost boxy. And if she's not a black molly, you will likely be able to notice a dark gravid spot near the anal fin.

6. OP
    OP
    NAC1999

she is only an inch in length, she still coud be pregnet????:confused: My molly
    is black, like really black could I still be able to see the gravid spot?????????

7. Tigerfishy

Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

You probably won't be able to see it. My black molly was pregnant, I knew because she was quite boxy when I brought her home (Despite asking for all males, grr!). Anyway, the point is, my molly was only about an inch to an incch and a half long, so it is possible.

Good luck. I found 5 babies, they all died, but they seemed very weak in comparison to the guppy babies born a week later, who are all still alive and thriving (Currently growing up in the grow out tank), so best of luck and let us know how it goes!

8. OP
    OP
    NAC1999

If she is pregnet how do I keep them alive??????????????

9. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

10. OP
    OP
    NAC1999

Thanks u guys!

11. OP
    OP
    NAC1999

also, how long does It take for her to be bregnet and have her babies

12. HOWsMom

HOWsMom Well Known Member Member

About 4 weeks from mating to babies.

13. rae64

rae64 Well Known Member Member

Yep, Phonic's got it. But chances are she was already pregnant when you got her, so it may be a shorter amount of time.

14. OP
    OP
    NAC1999

How do I take care of the babies "propperly"???????????

15. mathas

• Frequent water changes
    • Pristine water quality (no ammonia or nitrites)
    • Small food for small mouths
    • No tankmates large enough to eat them
    Those are the basics. This come up many times before, and a forum search may provide some further answers.

16. HOWsMom

HOWsMom Well Known Member Member

Do you want the fry to grow up to be kept, or are you hoping for a few survivors? Do you have enough space for the grown fry, or know a location that will certainly take them ?

Our Mollies "Pepper" and "Salt" apparently came to us very pregnant, as less than 48 hours after their arrival, "Pepper" had 4 small fry. Unfortunately she did not survive the immense stress of the move coupled with fry-birth.
    Currently I can find 3 still - not sure if the 4th is hiding, or what.

"Salt" unfortunately lost her babies a week or so later. She is still with us, and seems to be doing very well herself. As we do have a male in the tank, I'm sure she's likely pregnant again already.

I admit, I am letting nature take it's course. There are some spots for fry to hide, but I haven't added any extra places. I do crumble some of the flake food very fine - almost into dust at first - so that they could eat.

The water is good, 0,0,10-15. It's changed out at close to 50% once a week. I use Prime as our water conditioner, and I do use a little more than what is needed in a 10g tank.

I think you'll find that what works varies between people, and especially by what their intentions are for the fry in the long run. As in - I know my LFS will give credit for fry, so if we end up with more than the tank can handle, I know I can take them in.

17. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

18. OP
    OP
    NAC1999

Thanks! And I would like more than three fry left!!! LOL!