Marmorkreb Help

brondo

Active Member
Member
Messages
288
Reaction score
123
Location
Bend Or
Experience
5 years
Is anyone else having problems with Cannibalism?! Iam trying to breed Marmorkrebs for puffer food. I have 2 in a 20g. One that I never see come out of its cave, ever. The other is a jerk. Tore the arms and legs off the 3rd, it died. Ate one of the 3 tetras I popped in to eat seed shrimp. Well I just found two 1/2-3/4 inch babies in the tank. 2. And they are big enough to have been around for a couple weeks. So I'm pretty sure the one that never comes out birthed them and the other ate them. But everything I have found says they don't do that. ****? How can there only be 2? I did so much research before buying these guys and its just not going as planned lol. Anyone out there having any luck with them? TIA
 

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
15,445
Reaction score
16,388
Location
pa usa
Experience
More than 10 years
Skimming threw a few articles I found this.


Imposters
Some unscrupulous individuals and companies will sell similar species as marbled crayfish for very cheap prices. Be aware that many crayfish have similar colors and patterns. However, the fakes will chase and eat fishes and other aquarium residents, which the marbled crayfish does not do. And of course, the fakes cannot reproduce by cloning themselves. This crayfish is still considered rare, so it is wise to be wary of someone selling this species for very cheap prices.
 

SixThreeOh

Well Known
Member
Messages
768
Reaction score
405
Location
Cinci
My colony took forever to start, but it's thriving now. I think the key is to provide them with constant sources of food. I throw plant trimmings in mine. I did have one suddenly go aggro and kill two others in two days. But I think it was mostly due to lack of food.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4
OP
brondo

brondo

Active Member
Member
Messages
288
Reaction score
123
Location
Bend Or
Experience
5 years
david1978 said:
Skimming threw a few articles I found this.


Imposters
Some unscrupulous individuals and companies will sell similar species as marbled crayfish for very cheap prices. Be aware that many crayfish have similar colors and patterns. However, the fakes will chase and eat fishes and other aquarium residents, which the marbled crayfish does not do. And of course, the fakes cannot reproduce by cloning themselves. This crayfish is still considered rare, so it is wise to be wary of someone selling this species for very cheap prices.
What I have are 2, now 4 female marbled crays. Both have female reproductive systems, they look like marbled crayfish and have now reproduced without a male. I have had them since they were less than an inch long and one of them has already cloned itself, hence the 2 fry........
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
brondo

brondo

Active Member
Member
Messages
288
Reaction score
123
Location
Bend Or
Experience
5 years
SixThreeOh said:
My colony took forever to start, but it's thriving now. I think the key is to provide them with constant sources of food. I throw plant trimmings in mine. I did have one suddenly go aggro and kill two others in two days. But I think it was mostly due to lack of food.
I keep a lot of anacharis in the tank that they love to eat, plus a ton of snails that they snack on when hungry but I also feed snello, bloodworms and sometimes raw shrimp/seafood- whatever the puffer gets, daily. So I know they eat well. I have read that younger ones can have territorial fights but I was sure they did not eat their young. I can't do a seccond crayfish tank. They are supposed to be food. I'm wondering if I get rid of the aggressive one maybe they will fare better. I had to pull the little ones out for now.
 

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,017
Reaction score
4,215
Location
Bedford UK but Welsh
Experience
More than 10 years
Well your doing things right, at the end of the day no matter what the books say there's always a chance of a rogue crayfish which seems you have, and as they're self cloning I'd part with that one and let the other get on with it, I hope it works out
 

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
8,231
Reaction score
11,123
Location
Saratoga NY
Experience
More than 10 years
Add more caves or tubes .
You should have atleast 1 more then number that want to use it .
I lay PVC pipes together and the little ones hide in between them !
They do every now and then go after each other ..Usually during a molt which is how they kill each other .
I thought mine would be gone by now but one just dropped babies a month ago or so I have a bunch again !
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8
OP
brondo

brondo

Active Member
Member
Messages
288
Reaction score
123
Location
Bend Or
Experience
5 years
Yeah, I have 5 caves and 2 Crays. The whole thing is mind boggling. How did I not see any of them. The two I found yesterday werent just hatched. I took the tank apart and rearranged things today and didnt find any more. I target feed these two with long tweezers daily so I looking in the tank every day. I just can't imagine there being a bunch of babies and not seeing any. I'm wondering if she dropped most of the eggs early or something, being her first clutch. Idk I just hope we fare better this time. I'm too nervous to put the little ones back in there so, MK tank #2....sigh. I'm trying to condense and bring my # of tanks down. Thanks for the info and ideas guys.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9
OP
brondo

brondo

Active Member
Member
Messages
288
Reaction score
123
Location
Bend Or
Experience
5 years
coralbandit said:
Add more caves or tubes .
You should have atleast 1 more then number that want to use it .
I lay PVC pipes together and the little ones hide in between them !
They do every now and then go after each other ..Usually during a molt which is how they kill each other .
I thought mine would be gone by now but one just dropped babies a month ago or so I have a bunch again !
How many Adults do you have? I'm wondering if I separate them will the mother not eat her own? Or can they even tell the difference.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
78
Guests online
2,125
Total visitors
2,203

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom