Marks On Silver Dollars?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Ed204, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Ed204

Ed204 Well Known Member Member

Hi Everyone,
    I have a small shoal of 5 silver dollars in my 135 gallon tank and I've noticed several markings on their tail and body (both are diffent).

On one of my Silver Dollars I've noticed a black mark on one of their bodies, I've noticed the FireMouth chasing them lately but no harm is done. The black mark is only on one of the Silver Dollars.

Another mark is a white mark which is one 3 of my Silver Dollars. Some of the marks are on the tip of the fins and are also displayed as white dots on the fins. I don't believe it is ich, is it just nipping or a bacterial infection?

Pictures are attached and thanks in Advance. @CindiL @NavigatorBlack @chromedome52 @Anders247 @TexasDomer

Thanks Guys!

Attached Files:

2. grantm91

grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

Them shiny dots are lost scales i think, my two that are always trying to spawn have alot of those from bashing up the glass when they do the mating thing. And the dot on the tail fin id say is just a different colour because its newer tissue.

3. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

4. OP
    OP
    Ed204

Not those shiny spots, those are natural dots from the Silver Dollars. This happens when they reflect light. I'm talking about the white Marks on the top edge of the Silver Dollars tail.
    Thanks Anyway.

Yeah, I guess you're right, my Silver Dollads are still recovering from a beating from my Blood Parrots so yeah, my FireMouth also displays these marks but that's because his tail is regrowing.

As for the scales, they will grow back with clean water right?

Okay, I was inspecting my Silver Dollars again and I noticed a single white spot on most of their bodies and they are in similar spots. The white spots are on their lower body I hope you can see them.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2017
  5. grantm91

Its not really a good pic, its hard to tell with silver dollars on pics + im really no expert i just have got the same fish and had them a while they honestly look ok though. [​IMG] thats my largest female and male

6. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

I see no ich on those fish, just the normal reflective nature of the scales. It reflects more on the upper part of the fish due to the slightly different angle of the flanks as they come up to the dorsum. I would expect ich parasites to be more widespread, and not so concentrated in one area.

The white spots in the caudal are just regrowth areas.

7. OP
    OP
    Ed204

Nice fish, what do you think of the latest picture I posted? The random white dot is in their bottom body area.

Alright thanks, I've also seen one or two white spots on the some of the fishes tails. I've noticed my FM cichlids chasing them around lately, I can't take a picture because it's quite hard to see the marks. Is it possible that it's ich or just an injury?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2017
  8. grantm91

I can see it yes do you have gravel maybe its scraped the bottom ?

9. OP
    OP
    Ed204

I have sand as the substrate, however I do have some small pebbles in the mix and I've seen them freak out and hit them a couple of times.

10. grantm91

They are very skittish fish mine have had some bad marks/scars the largest male knocked its a nose so bad once its still bent now you just have to get used seeing new marks little and small

11. Anders247

Oh, lol. The white marks are nothing to worry about, they will go away as long as you keep good water quality.

12. OP
    OP
    Ed204

Alright, thanks.

Also, I've noticed white dots on some of the Silver Dollar's tails, I'll try to post a picture but it's really hard to spot the dots. The spots on the tail look similar to the ones on the body, is that also an injury or something else?

13. Anders247

I wouldn't worry about them.

14. OP
    OP
    Ed204

Alright, thanks for you're help! :)

15. Anders247

No problem!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice