Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Mark/growth On Rainbowfish

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by jmarcf, May 22, 2019.

1. jmarcf Valued Member Member

2. Gypsy13 Fishlore VIP Member

I’m going to ask for visual help. You say it’s a bump not a hole correct? And it’s getting larger now in what way? Bulging out more or spreading out more?
    @Momgoose56 you are on tonight I think. Can you look at this little one?

Edit for another question. Can you get a picture from above on this fish?

3. A201 Well Known Member Member

If you are describing the black round bump located in the Rainbow's lateral line, no worries, it doesn't look anything like
    fish TB. It looks more like a small cyst.
    It possibly could be Lymphocystis, a relatively common viral growth. Usually not fatal & isn't very contagious.

4. Momgoose56 Well Known Member Member

From that angle, It looks mostly like missing scales from an injury. What are it's tankmates? When did you first notic
    It's hard to say what that is. It looks flat but missing scales. I doubt that it's lymphocystosis. It could be a cyst though. What other fish are in the tank? How are the water params? My rainbows occasionally come up missing scales but they're in an African Cichlid tank and may get nipped occasionally.

5. jmarcf Valued Member Member

Thanks for the replies and sorry for taking a while to get back to you (I have a sick cat that just wants to sit on my lap all day lol).

Yeah more of a slightly raised bump. It seems to be spreading out more. Unfortunately a pic from above would be almost impossible due to plants etc.

Other rainbows, wild caught empire gudgeon's, other random wild caught gudgeons (I live in Australia), 3x archer fish, 4x BN catfish. To be honest since day one, but I'm sure it was much smaller.

6. Momgoose56 Well Known Member Member

Well, he may have a slow growing tumor too. Not much you can do about that. If he's eating, acting normal, and energetic I doubt that it's TB and I and can't see that antibiotic or antifungal treatment would help much either. You could try some melafix or aquarium salt and see if that helps with healing. Sorry I'm not more help. Good luck with him.

7. Gypsy13 Fishlore VIP Member

Keep an eye on it. If it’s a cyst it’ll eventually pop. Then you’ll want to swab it with hydrogen peroxide or methylene blue. If it’s a tumor hopefully it’s a very slow growing one. But like Momgoose56 said, not much to do there. If it starts spreading to different parts of its body or gets fuzzy qt it ASAP. But the way it sounds right now, eating and swimming well, just watch. Nothing about it sounds like Tb. Update when you can. Ok? :)

8. jmarcf Valued Member Member

Thanks guys, I use heaps of salt as Aussie natives looooves salt :p. Yeah he is acting like the big boss so seems normal

I found a dead rainbow in the tank today, I hope it's not a sign of things to come :inpain:

9. Gypsy13 Fishlore VIP Member

Watch everybody. How they act, interact, move, eat, gill movement. If anyone starts acting odd snap a pic for us. We will help all we can. Hopefully the poor rainbow wasn’t the beginning of bad things. Think positive. :)