Marino balls

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Lady Monster, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Lady Monster

Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

Could i make a carpet with this the way that people do with java moss? I know its a slow grower but I'm just wondering if its spreadable. Or it i can tear some off and tie it to my drift wood. I'm going to split my balls since they are decent size. My fish don't really eat them just the crumbs they catch.

2. peregrine

peregrine Valued Member Member

Not sure how it would work as a carpet since the way it grows is in all directions, and any side not getting light will actually start dying..

3. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

Some people say theirs grew over the driftwood on it's own, im having trouble seeing how that would happen. The moss ball they say grew like that was probably not Marino and was probably java moss. Ive seen a lot of people tying marimo to rocks and plastic mesh but never see the final results posted. I'll probably just split them into smaller balls because they are kinda big.

I guess if i wanna grow moss carpet ill get java or xmas. And i do know that marimo is actually algae, but they market it as a moss ball.

4. mg13

mg13 Well Known Member Member

That's right, like Lady Monster said, it is algae, but I don't think it grows on things, It's more like a free floating type of algae.

dwarf hairgrass provides a really cool carpet effect that will look similar to what you are looking for, but I don't think Marimo is your answer

5. peregrine

@Lady Monster one thing to note about marimo moss balls is that not every moss ball sold as a marimo moss ball is actually a marimo moss ball. I have some but before getting did a LOT of research because of conflicting information about whether or not they removed nitrates. I ended up getting them because I just thought they looked neat and didnt' care about the nitrate thing. But I digress. A lot of stores and people will sell balls of moss they actually made of moss and formed them into a call and sell them as marimo moss balls ((some even go so far to trick you they use Styrofoam balls and glue moss onto them)).. And some people may have used those types of balls.

6. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

Mine isn't floating, and it came from petco so i hope it's the real thing.... It appears real anyways.

7. peregrine

They only float if you squeeze them. Most likely it is. Easiest way I found online was to take them out of the water. Squeeze them a little ((not like you are trying to crush them but a fair bit of force)) real ones will stay together. fake ones since they are literally balled up moss usually fall apart. But the fake ones I've seen are fairly obvious they are fake and on't hold a fairly round shape for more than a few days because it's not their natural shape.

8. mg13

you can post a picture, normally the fake things float, but one way to make sure is to cut it in half. i dont think you're gonna want to do that though. XD

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/aquarium-plants/132970-true-marimo-vs-fake-marimo.html
    see if there is anything there that can help, and maybe look around other places,

totally right! and yeah, defiantly don't squeeze the life out of them, cause you'll end up with a rotting inside.

9. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

I gently squeezed them when i rinsed them before putting in my tank and they felt spongy without falling apart. And actually tearing them in half is how you propagate them, from what i understand.https://vimeo.com/172820106

10. mg13

yup, and also if it looks the same inside as outside, then it's most likely real.

11. peregrine

Yup that is exactly how you propagate them

12. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

I already split one and it looks good to me :)

13. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

I just realized my auto correct typed marino instead of marimo

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice