Marineland System 12 Lighting Questions for planted tank!

1. K3NN3TH Initiate Member

Hi all,

I have a Marineland integrated 12 gallon tank with community fish (currently 1 Betta, 1 dwarf Gourami, 1 cory cat, 4 rasboras, and 5 neon tetras) and have tried sevaral different plants with varying success.

Hornwort and anacharis do well, red ludwigia (both broad and narrow), camboba, and amazon swords do okay sometimes but the sword goes a bit yellow and the others lose leaves, so I think the problem is that the standard lighting 13 watt compact isn't enough. I'd like to get a plant aquascape package online, but first I've been trying to see if there is anyway I can replace the standard light bulb (https://www.marineland.com/store/Replacement-Lamp-Compact-5000k-13w-12-gallon-Eclipse-System-P211C0.aspx ) with one that is more powerful and get up to the 2 watt per gallon that would be more suitable for a successful planted tank. Since I may already be a tad overstocked, I'd like to get my tank heavily planted. I've looked online but haven't found anything that looks like it would fit my canopy fixture.

My question to you all is, do you know any higher output light bulb that would fit my tank? If so please point me in the right direction.

Also, does anyone know anything about http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+10704+12760&pcatid=12760? How exactly do you attach them to your canopy? And which color looks best?

2. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Hi and welcome to FL! :)

I'd agree that the problem you're going to have with the Eclipse 12 is the lighting. Unfortunately, there isn't a replacement bulb with higher wattage for the Eclipse. You're kind of stuck with what you have. One thing that will help is to replace the bulb every 6 months (PC bulbs lose intensity with use, and the spectrum of light shifts). There are still plants you can keep, but you'll need to choose low light plants. Anubias, java fern, java moss, and crypts are some ideas that would work for you.

As for the lunar light you have linked, it is made to be mounted inside of a wooden canopy. The holes are in the sides so you can screw it in place.

3. K3NN3TH Initiate Member

Is there really no replacement bulb? Is it the type of bulb or the shape, or does Marineland make their integrated system bulbs so that you can't replace them with other bulbs? If it is impossible from a model standpoint then I guess I'm stuck, but if not I'm willing to keep looking for some obscure compact bulb with more wattage.

4. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

To my knowledge, Marineland makes the Eclipse all in one tanks with proprietary bulbs. You'll have to buy their brand for replacements. Stinks, doesn't it! LOL. The only thing I can think of to do would be to remove the Eclipse top where the light is, keep the filter you have if you want, and purchase a PC strip light. Here is a link:
    http://www.marineandreef.com/Aqualight_Compact_Fluorescent_1X28W_20_Coralife_p/res53000.htm

Unfortunately, that fixture is made for SW tanks and comes with a 10K/actinic 50/50 bulb. For a planted tank, I'd recommend purchasing either a 10000K bulb, or a dual daylight 10000K/6700K bulb. 28W over a 12 gallon tank would give you plenty of light for a lot of plants. :)