Marineland Portrait Filter Modification Help

Ayzal

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I’m not sure if I understand the filtration system completely, but I know I need a mechanical, biological, and chemical media. However, I don’t know what media is what.

I have a Marineland Portrait 5 gallon tank and I wanted to modify the filter system it came with. I wanted to use:

1. Purigen = chemical?
2. InTank Filter floss pad = mechanical?
3. Fluval biomax media = biological?

I was planing to replace the carbon filter with inTank filter floss pad, the bottom black sponge with purigen cut down to size, and float the biomax in the back filter area.

I currently have slightly cloudy water with one 1 Betta, 4-5 plants, possibly brown algae, and I’m pretty sure detritus worms? They look like hundreds of white wiggling lint stuck to my glass walls and floating at the surface. I’m thinking about getting 1 nerite snail too is needed and hopefully I get lucky and get a male snail.

Questions:
1. Is this correct and all I should need to do?
2. If I use those 3 medias, how often do I have to replace them? Or do they last years and I only need to wash them?
3. Also is it normal for algae and slime to build up in the filter area?

Ayzal

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I noticed that too, so I started looking around on how to make the filter better and circulate oxygenated water from the bottom to the top.

You cut the entire back black plastic part off or just the filter cartridge thing?

Smalltownfishfriend

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I noticed that too, so I started looking around on how to make the filter better and circulate oxygenated water from the bottom to the top.

You cut the entire back black plastic part off or just the filter cartridge thing?
I actually cute the entire back piece off... It seemed to make the tank a tad larger. I don't think it compromised the tank at all but I could be wrong!! I had it set up for awhile after wards and it didn't leak! I know.. the water gets very stagnant in the back!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom