Marineland Penguin 150 keeps Stopping

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by RedRumBetta, Jul 3, 2010.

1. RedRumBetta

RedRumBettaValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    I just bought a Marineland 150 today because I wanted something more powerful than what I had which wasn't doing the job to well after a year. I set it up but after about an hour the filter intake stops "intakeing" if you will. The little rotor inside it stops and all that. I've checked it and there's nothing blocking it or the intake. Does anyone know why it's doing this or own one that's done this and has done anything about it?

2. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +313
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    hmmm very odd. I'm sorry that you're having issues with your filter.

Let's see what responses you receive today.

Ken

3. ccb04

ccb04Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +18
    Experience:
    5 years
    Is the motor making noise even though the impeller isn't spinning? If the impeller is simply stopping and you've checked the impeller to make sure nothing is obstructing it which you mentioned you did ... it sounds like you may have gotten a bad filter. The intake not being properly/fully seated could cause the filter to not draw water in (or greatly reduce flow) ... but the impeller should seemingly still spin.

Marineland usually has excellent customer service. You could call them and see if they'll send you a replacement motor/impeller assembly. They also have a detailed exploded diagram of the 150 on their website (marineland.com). Or, you could try to exchange/replace the 150 at the store where it was purchased. I've never really cared for the Penguin's personally. IMO, the biowheel itself can be problematic and the Penguin's intake/impeller assembly can be finicky and the filters are often noisy. For HOB filters, I usually prefer the AquaClear and Aqueon models ... and have also used classic Whispers.

Best of luck. Keep us updated.

4. OP
    OP
    RedRumBetta

RedRumBettaValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    Thanks to the both of you! I kept fiddling with it and if finally started running non-stop since I cleaned the tank. I don't know what I did but I want to keep it that way. lol

5. Team Omega-3

Team Omega-3Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    1 year
    I know its an old thread but, its happening to me too!

I'm sure its the impeller, i awoke this morning and the filter wasn't pumping. so, i fiddled with the impeller and got it working again but, before i left for work it stopped again...

should i buy a whole new filter on lunch break or try cleaning the impeller more throughly? Can't wait for replacement parts, gotta keep Team Omega-3 alive!!! DX

UPDATE: HAHHHHHAAAAAA!!! fixed it!

Clean the impeller really well under hot water, inspect the bushings, clean out the little well it sets in, voila.

Those danios are TOUGH they went through 4 hrs of marinating in their own ragu (no circulation) and were swimming around as the normally do. I also performed a 50% water change to refresh them.

Lil' guys sucked up my whole lunch break LOL

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010