Marineland Penguin 150 Biowheel Not Spinning

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by JRS, Apr 24, 2017.

1. JRS

JRSWell Known MemberMember

My ammonia went up today to .25 and then I noticed the biowheel isn't spinning well or sometimes at all. I clean out the intake tube and impeller. Not better.

So any ideas? Also, I have another 150. I am thinking maybe I should put that in with the biowheel and media from the one that is on their now. Would that be ok to do? How should I clean the new one (it is used but has been sitting for a while - maybe 1 year)

2. Punkin

PunkinWell Known MemberMember

This really isn't answering your question, but just some info. My QT has a biowheel filter. When I qt the cories at the end of March, the qt had been put away for over a month and the wheel was dry. I kept seeded cartridge media in the main tank, that I put in the biowheel filter. I had no problems with getting an instant cycle. So because of that, I am not convinced that the biowheel holds a lot of good BB. I believe it holds some, but I feel that the floss media/cartridge stuff holds the majority of it. Just a consideration.

3. Chaory

ChaoryValued MemberMember

Try cleaning the area where the bio wheel sits on and the side of the bio wheel that sits on the holders. Also try turning the bio wheel around.

4. purslanegarden

purslanegardenWell Known MemberMember

After having irregular turning of the wheel, I just now have ignored the wheel. I keep it off. Having it on and not turning, is worse than having it off. I stuffed the reservoir with additional biomedia, so that along with the filter pad, is what I depend on for housing BB. The filter has been working fine this way for almost a year now.

5. OP
    OP
    JRS

I have some matrix in a bag stuffed in their too along with the cartridge. Good to know if it keeps giving me trouble.

6. OP
    OP
    JRS

I have heard this too from other sources, so I am going to use an AC for the main filter when I upgrade in the next week or two to the 29, with this as backup and initially to bring over the good BB.

7. Fashooga

FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

I have dual bio wheel and one turns fine the other is slow to turn but turns a few times a minute while.

8. bizaliz3

bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

Just because the bio-wheel isn’t spinning does not mean the filter doesn’t hold your BB. It just means you can’t RELY on the bio-wheel to be responsible for holding onto all of your necessary BB. That is the problem. People are led to believe the can just replace those cartridges on a regular basis without losing the cycle because the wheel keeps your BB. That is FALSE. The wheel is useless for that purpose. It holds some BB, but not nearly enough to keep the cycle in tact. Even if the wheel is spinning away!!

I use a lot of marineland filters on my tanks. I just never change the cartridge until it falls apart. I just clean it in tank water, or dechlorinated tap water. And if I do need to replace it, I leave the old one in there with the new one for a few weeks before removing it.

Also, it was mentioned earlier in the thread that having a non-turning wheel is worse than not having the wheel at all….I disagree with that. The wheel is not harmful in any way it just doesn’t do the job Marineland makes you think it is doing. So, leaving the unspinning wheel on there is not harmful in any way. But it also isn’t necessary.

9. Punkin

I have an AC on my main tank and am very happy with it.

10. OP
    OP
    JRS

Thank you. I have come to learn that from this site. I hadn't had trouble before doing so, but I will not rely on it in the future. That is why added the matrix. Question - do yo cut open the filter cartridge and remove the charcoal since you leave it in a long time? Do you open it up and put in something like matrix? I have matrix in a bag stuffed in the filter in front of the cartridge, so the cartridge filters the gunk first.

11. Punkin

I just cut a slit in it and dumped it out and put it back in, left it attached to the frame. I did not fill the slot with something, although that is a good idea if you can fit something in here. Now there were extra pieces that I cut off the frame, too. So I had some floppy squares, but I keep a frame on hand so it has something to kind of hold it in place.

12. OP
    OP
    JRS

That is a good idea!

13. Punkin

You can just put the loose squares of floss in there, but they kind of bunched in a blob at the bottom of the filter. With the frame, it kind of holds it up. I have some new cut to fit pieces of floss I bought at pet supplies plus, it may be more rigid. I guess it just depends. Until I was on this site, I had never heard of people putting extra media in the filter. It was like a miracle idea to me! That and the turkey baster to suck random gunk out!

14. OP
    OP
    JRS

I had heard of it somewhere but it seemed unnecessary and i was afraid I would mess it up. Boy was I misguided then.

15. Punkin

Hmmm.... maybe I will start a fun thread about that. "Best ideas you got from Fishlore that you never thought of....":)

16. bizaliz3

bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

I only remove the carbon if I was going to Medicate. Carbon does expire...and will no longer serve its purpose...but expired carbon does not harm anything. So there's no need to remove it.

I have added matrix to a couple of my marineland hobs....but I don't shove it into the cartridge itself....I just place it in a media bag and shove that bag behind the filter cartridge.

17. Punkin

I had floss pieces and the frame while I had the cory QT running. I pitched them (not the frame) since I had meds, so I have new pieces seeding right now (from the cut to fit stuff) in my AC50.

Attached Files:

18. OP
    OP
    JRS

So tonight, I am going to take out the cartridge to put in a new one so the charcoal can get the meds out. I think I will cut the floss off of the plastic and stick it back in the filter for a bit so the BB can develop on the new one. Since their was an ammonia spike today I do not want to take it out completely.

19. Punkin

I used an Exacto-knife to cut as close to the edges as possible. It is a bit more difficult when wet, but it can be done. :)

20. Betrayer

BetrayerWell Known MemberMember

I have the exact same filter and struggled for awhile with the bio wheel not spinning consistently. I tried taking the whole filter apart and thoroughly cleaning it, fiddling with the way the wheel sits in the grooves, etc. What finally helped me get the wheel spinning well again was lifting the two filter cartridges up ever so slightly. It must affect the way the water flows through to the wheel just enough to keep it moving. Not sure if that will work for you, but you can give it a try.

I also completely agree with the comments above. I consider the wheel a secondary, extra location for beneficial bacteria to grow, but I agree that the cartridges and/or filter media are even more important.