Marineland LED aquarium hood?

orangeclumsy1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm thinking of buying this Marineland aquarium hood for my 20L because the price is just too good!

The general consensus on the reviews seems positive but I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with these hoods and whether you would recommend them or not? I am planning on using it for a planted shrimp tank.

frampy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I put one on my 20 long and hated it. It doesn't light the whole tank. The light bar is about 10 inches the corners and side of the tank was dark. You have to lift up the whole lid to service the tank and that means the light is shining in your face. Also when doing service it means you are doing it in the dark. I took it off a couple weeks after I got it. I trashed the lid and kept the little light bar. I don't think it is strong enough for plants. I ended up getting a set of glass tops and coralight t5no 2x18w lights. Oh yeah the plastic pieces that snap to the sides of the tank to hold the top broke in the 1st week I had it.

orangeclumsy1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thank you for the reply! Looks like I will not be getting this hood. I did already get an aqueon light fixture and held onto the receipt and I think I will be returning it based on the reviews I've seen on it. Looks like the hunt for a good light is still going on!

utkgreg

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hi, just wanted to chime in and say that I agree with Frampy. Glad you're not getting the light. I tried one from PetSmart just so I could return it if I didn't like it. Suffice it to say, I didn't like it lol

frampy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I do like the marineland hidden led system. I have a 21 inch one on my 20 long also. It has the moon lights and white LED lights. I don't think its strong enough either but its nice as an accent light. Its on a separate timer then my main light. It comes on 1st then the main light. It stays on after the main light goes off. Also adjustable. You can direct the light up or down.

_Fried_Bettas_

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I do like them for my 10 gallon spawning/fry tanks where I want some dim light but very little as to not disturb the fish. But they are useless for anything else.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom