Marineland LED Aquarium Hood with plants

LorenHusky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Even though that's a nice hood, I'm kind of doubtful that it's enough to sustain plants. You could always try though.

outlaw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Short answer. Not likely. If you do try it, have an alternative option ready if it doesn't look like your plant/s will make it.

Full question and answer in link.

Q:
Can the LED Aquarium kits grow live plants?
I'm specifically looking at the 10 gallon kit. I understand that the larger the tank, the more LEDs --> more penetrating light. I'm almost sure that the larger tanks have LEDs powerful enough to grow live plants, however, what about the 10, 20, or 29 gallon?
Aquarium Type: Freshwater
Aquarium Size: Small (20g or less)

A1:
short answer is no. other than java moss and some other low light plants they will die. my 37 gallon tank with led's has only 310ppm for lighting compared to 780ppm with a standard incandesent bulb.
Top 25 Contributor

A2:
The lighting in those kits are not recommended for live plants. The only light we sell that is suitable is the Reef Capable strip lights. In some case for low lying plants, you may be able to use the Double Bright. Our website has a complete list of technical specs to reference for the PAR and LUX values for all of our LED lighting.
Staff
Best Answer

Outlaw

outlaw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
There are led fixtures out there if you still prefer it, just make sure they state they are for planted or have the reviews to back up their claims.

Good Luck,
Outlaw

Matt B

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I was able to grow java fern with that in a 15g, same footprint as a ten but taller, the fern made 2 babies as well. I also had hornwort going but the lower leaves that got shaded were shed.

Eta: I wouldn't expect explosive growth or anything but mine grew like that with no ferts.

Bluegillfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I actually prefer T5 over the LED anyway I just kind of like the blue night feature but I can add that myself with a submersible led strip.

LorenHusky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The best LEDs to grow plants right now are 3 watts per diode. They're expensive as heck too. The T5 is the way to go.

outlaw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The best LEDs to grow plants right now are 3 watts per diode. They're expensive as heck too. The T5 is the way to go.
I agree the good fixtures using the proper leds are not cheap up front, but in a long term setup, they will more than pay for themselves. Typically in a couple years or less depending on your bulb replacements.

I actually prefer T5 over the LED anyway I just kind of like the blue night feature but I can add that myself with a submersible led strip.
Unless you prefer the led night light to be in the tank, there are several options that allow you to just stick the leds on an existing light fixture without losing the daylight effectiveness.

Outlaw

happypappy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have this tank and I love it. Low light plants do fine. But don't expect great growth. I currently have anubus, water sprite, wisteria and some others, They are fine, but not growing like the same plants in my flourescent tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom