Marineland Hob Filters Bio Wheels Stopped Rotating ??

dakota

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is there any way to help this with these filters? If what needs to be done. I read a lot of people are very happy with them. Then I read stories where some have problems with the rotation of these Bio wheels. Is there any cure for these bio wheels??

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The Marineland Emperor bio-wheels have spray bars that keep the wheel spinning. The Marineland Penguins don't have a spray bar & depend totally on water flow. When the filter cartridge gets dirty a partial clog occurs slowing the flow, which in turn slows the rotation of the wheel.

OP
D

dakota

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That makes everything seem brighter. I see more Marineland Emperor 400s seem to have the most trouble keeping those wheels turning. I wonder what they are doing to solve there problem other than selling them and go with a different filter?

Thanks

Bill

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I think when the shaft on the ends of the bio wheels are cleaned thoroughly and the wheel themselves are given a good swish in a bucket of tank water, they start to spin again.

I would wager a lack of maintenance on them contributes to more than 1/2 of the occurrences of the wheels stopping.

The Penguin 350's can be had for $26-$30 online and can be loaded with a sponge or 2 to boost filtration.

Lot of filter for little $$.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom