Marineland Hob Filters Bio Wheels Stopped Rotating ??

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by dakota, Jun 19, 2019.

1. dakota

dakotaValued MemberMember

Is there any way to help this with these filters? If what needs to be done. I read a lot of people are very happy with them. Then I read stories where some have problems with the rotation of these Bio wheels. Is there any cure for these bio wheels??

2. A201

A201Well Known MemberMember

The Marineland Emperor bio-wheels have spray bars that keep the wheel spinning. The Marineland Penguins don't have a spray bar & depend totally on water flow. When the filter cartridge gets dirty a partial clog occurs slowing the flow, which in turn slows the rotation of the wheel.

3. OP
    OP
    dakota

dakotaValued MemberMember

That makes everything seem brighter. I see more Marineland Emperor 400s seem to have the most trouble keeping those wheels turning. I wonder what they are doing to solve there problem other than selling them and go with a different filter?

Thanks

Bill

4. Islandvic

IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

I think when the shaft on the ends of the bio wheels are cleaned thoroughly and the wheel themselves are given a good swish in a bucket of tank water, they start to spin again.

I would wager a lack of maintenance on them contributes to more than 1/2 of the occurrences of the wheels stopping.

The Penguin 350's can be had for $26-$30 online and can be loaded with a sponge or 2 to boost filtration.

Lot of filter for little $$.

5. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member