Marineland Hob Filters Bio Wheels Stopped Rotating ??

• Thread starter dakota
  • Start date

dakota

Is there any way to help this with these filters? If what needs to be done. I read a lot of people are very happy with them. Then I read stories where some have problems with the rotation of these Bio wheels. Is there any cure for these bio wheels??

A201

Fishlore VIP
The Marineland Emperor bio-wheels have spray bars that keep the wheel spinning. The Marineland Penguins don't have a spray bar & depend totally on water flow. When the filter cartridge gets dirty a partial clog occurs slowing the flow, which in turn slows the rotation of the wheel.

dakota

That makes everything seem brighter. I see more Marineland Emperor 400s seem to have the most trouble keeping those wheels turning. I wonder what they are doing to solve there problem other than selling them and go with a different filter?

Thanks

Bill

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
I think when the shaft on the ends of the bio wheels are cleaned thoroughly and the wheel themselves are given a good swish in a bucket of tank water, they start to spin again.

I would wager a lack of maintenance on them contributes to more than 1/2 of the occurrences of the wheels stopping.

The Penguin 350's can be had for $26-$30 online and can be loaded with a sponge or 2 to boost filtration.

Lot of filter for little $$.

Top Bottom