Marineland Heater Possible Recall

Discussion in 'Heaters' started by Cichlidude, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Cichlidude

Cichlidude Valued Member Member

I just found this thread that may be helpful to others.

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Glad I didn't upgrade :)

3. Morgan111

Morgan111 Well Known Member Member

thanks i just ordered two today

4. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

I have the Stealth Pro heaters, 3 of them in my 265g. They've been working very well for the past few months. I wouldn't fret too much at this point unless they actually do have a recall. The link is only 1 persons experience and who knows what the underlying causes may be.

So until I hear of more bad situations with these heaters, I still recommend them.

Ken

Edit: This information is on the same link:

Hello,

Nothing. There is a lot of talk over the internet, but this is due to one person having a problem with their heater. We do not have an issue, and are not recalling the heater. If the heater is working correctly, you do nothing. If it stops heating or starts overheating, you are welcomed to send it back to us for replacement. Our address is 3001 Commerce Street, Blacksburg, VA 24060.

Regards,

Marineland

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  5. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

6. Aquarist

GASP!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

Wow! hmmmmm Thanks for pointing that out Lucy. Too, the Stealth Pros are new as they just came out on the market last year (i'm pretty certain).

However, since I've had them on line for several months now I'm going to continue using them. I have to take into consideration all of the other heaters that I've seen mentioned and the issues they've had too. (over heating, glass cracking, melting ect...) I don't feel there is a win win situation with any heater. JMO. :)

I will inspect them closely.

Ken

7. Gouramiguy17

Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

Someone that goes to nwaas had a stealth heater explode too, ill try to find the topic.

8. Aquarist

Hello,

I read some more of the posts in the link in post #1 above. There is a lot # given for the heater that is said to have exploded 01H31 and the #'s should be white and on the heater itself. Mine doesn't have any #'s in white and no #'s period :) So...I won't be replacing mine until I hear of a recall. I haven't run across any mention as to the wattage of the heater in question.
    Ken

9. Nate McFin

Nate McFin Well Known Member Member

I have read several threads regarding this on planted tank as well. There has also been alot more temp fluctations on marinelands heaters. Both of my new ones are off by 4-6 degrees. Not much when your talking 74-78 but when you set the heater for 80 and its actually 86 thats a problem.
    I just purchased a heater for my new 40 breeder tank I am putting together and I opted to go with a hydor eth inline this time. I havent used anything but marineland in the past but the quality seems to be up and down from alot of reviews I am seeing.

10. Morgan111

Morgan111 Well Known Member Member

WOW I just read that entire thread Lucy posted and now I'm a lil freaked out and prob. going to return or get rid of the two STEALTH PRO'S that I just ordered yesterday.... THIS IS CRAZY why take the chance. I've used the stealth for years and this problem seems to be only with the STEALTH PROS.

11. navyscuba

navyscuba Well Known Member Member

I'm a member of another forum and they are many issues with the heater. Stealth has been the preferred heater for many of us and I tell you guys is changing the way people buy heaters. The new stealth pro is many in China and the Visi-therm is made on Italy and the biggest issue is the Pro. I actually own both. Another issue is the temp, For the folks that live up north that require a heater more than me for example have notice that their water temperature is 4 to 5 degrees different than the setting. Issue that causes a lot of malfunction with the heater is water level while doing a water change. The level drops below the minimal water line on the heater and the casing cracks or develops a leak and water gets inside the casing of the heater and when is in use the heater turns on and the water that got inside turns into steam and builds pressure and BOOM. That is what probably happened with the one on the Planted Tank Forum. :jawdrop:

12. Aquarist

Thanks Navy! Some great points there!

Ken

13. l

leeishom Valued Member Member

My marineland is off by 1 1/1 to 2 degrees, it's never on the temp I set it. Not sure if this is considered a issue, but I think marineland offers a lifetime warranty, yes?

14. OP
    OP
    Cichlidude

Cichlidude Valued Member Member

You never set the temperature by what the heater says, the dial can be off as much as +/- 4 degrees of the setting. You need a thermometer to set the temperature. When you set your oven to cook at 350, do you really think it is a 350? Have you verified?

15. Aquarist

The Stealth Pros I have are very accurate within 1 degree. Granted the lights produce heat too but they seem to be doing very well. So far I'm still very pleased with them.
    Ken

16. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

For all you salties, just wanted to let you know that malfunctioning Stealths are a known issue in SW tanks! Please save yourself the trouble and don't use a Stealth in a marine tank. BTW, this applies to the old style Stealth and I'm sure it's a problem with the Pro if it's even having issues in FW.

17. S

Steve420 Valued Member Member

I have the same issue....just in reverse (which I suppose is a good thing). My Pro is off by -5 degrees. Its set at 84 and keeps the water right around 78-79.
    This was a replacement that Marineland sent me for an older model stealth that fried and almost boiled my fish! I was going to see if I could get another replacement....but it seems like I'd just have the same issue.

I'll probably just ride this one out and see what happens. Definitely going to check for a Lot/Model number when I got home though!!!

18. l

leeishom Valued Member Member

I have 3 different therm. In my tank, i never trust just one source of information.

19. navyscuba

navyscuba Well Known Member Member

The old marineland heaters where the best but they changed their production site which is china and now the quality is not good as many of you have found already. I had my old stealth almost cook my Angels. They sent me a Pro model but now that all these issues have come out I'm thinking of changing all my heaters.

20. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I'm not speaking from one source of info, and at any rate, only trying to help. ;)

In addition to the numerous threads you can find with a google search that talk about these issues, I've heard several horror stories from my local reef club members. Stealths (old style or new) just aren't a great choice for SW tanks IMO.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice