MarineLand C220 w/FX-4 + Dual Lilly Pipes & Inline Heater

digitalsol

Hello, I wanted to post my idea for some changes I would like to make to my tank and ask the masses if this will be ok for my setup.

Goals: Enough filtration for my over-loaded tank while maintaining a clear/clean setup without the large black plastic pieces hanging everywhere in the tank. Enough water flow without stressing the existing fish. I also want to be able to remove anything quickly for cleaning which is why every single output (intake and outflow) are connected using quick disconnect adaptors for easily cleaning when needed.

Tank: 50G
Fish:
(4) golden laser corys
(6) panda corys
(8) guppys
(1) common pleco
(1) super red bristle nose
(1) chocolate longfin
(1) golden nugget
(2) assasin snails
Live plants (val mostly)

Filter 1:
Marineland C220
Hydor Inline heater to set 80 (ranges 78.8-80) typically
5/8 Hosing through and through
5/8 Lilly Surface skimmer
5/8 Lilly outflow pipe

Filter 2:
Fluval FX-4
1" Clear hosing at the filter to a 3/4" adaptor quick release which goes to a 3/4 Lilly Pipe intake & outflow

Left Corner of Tank
-MarineLand Intake using Glass Surface Skimmer
-FX4 outflow using Glass Lilly Pipe (1" to 3/4 quick release adaptor)

Right corner of Tank
-Marineland Ouflow using glass lily pipe
-FX Intake using a glass Lilly Pipe (1" to 3/4 quick release adaptor)

Questions:
1) Will the skimmer be safe with guppy's? They tend to hang out on top of the tank a lot and i wanted to verify i dont have fish getting sucked into this. I dont have to run the skimmer I just thought having a surface skimmer and a standard intake sounded like a good idea.

2) Will reducing the hosing from the FX4 at the end of the hose from a 1" to a 3/4" hurt the pump in any way? I currently run this filter with the input at 100% and the outflow lowered 3-4 notches so the flow is reduced enough to not blast the guppy's around.

3) Will moving the outflow to single non-adjustable lily pipe be an issue for concern? I planned on having it on the back of the tank facing the front glass at a 45% angle so its reduced by hitting the glass but still moving water down the tank.

4) I have another air bubbler which I was going to hook up to a 4" long strip stone and place it in the back left corner near the edge of the cave as well as add a few more plants in this area to cover it from visibility. I figured this would help add oxygen to the tank since I am going from a duel nozzle output to a single output where as currently one nozzle faces the surface and the other the bottom. I have an existing air pump as shown but i modified the hosing to fit the decoration so the bubbles are large surface bubblers not the fine air you see from an air stone (if it makes a difference, unsure but figured its more about surface agitation).

I do have an inline temp alarm wired into the hose before the marineland filter so I can see the temp pre-filter and pre-heater. I do probably need to come up with another sensor or inline heater down the road I like to have a failsafe incase one stops working or causes issues. The alarm will alert me if water temps drop below 77 or above 81. I wired it into a plastic fitting under the tank as I hate having extra wiring going into the tank.

Photos/videos to be added in a second.
Pics

Added quick video below to google drive!
Meet Google Drive – One place for all your files

Also FYI: I am going to be removing the Marino Moss from the caves and going with a java moss. I will be moving the large cave to the back right corner so its a 3 stack. I have a large 3" stack cave going in on the back left. The moss looked great but its dieing out and I was informed it cannot be ripped or opened up without dieing.
Hello, I wanted to post my idea for some changes I would like to make to my tank and ask the masses if this will be ok for my setup.

Goals: Enough filtration for my over-loaded tank while maintaining a clear/clean setup without the large black plastic pieces hanging everywhere in the tank. Enough water flow without stressing the existing fish. I also want to be able to remove anything quickly for cleaning which is why every single output (intake and outflow) are connected using quick disconnect adaptors for easily cleaning when needed.

Tank: 50G
Fish:
(4) golden laser corys
(6) panda corys
(8) guppys
(1) common pleco
(1) super red bristle nose
(1) chocolate longfin
(1) golden nugget
(2) assasin snails
Live plants (val mostly)

Filter 1:
Marineland C220
Hydor Inline heater to set 80 (ranges 78.8-80) typically
5/8 Hosing through and through
5/8 Lilly Surface skimmer
5/8 Lilly outflow pipe

Filter 2:
Fluval FX-4
1" Clear hosing at the filter to a 3/4" adaptor quick release which goes to a 3/4 Lilly Pipe intake & outflow

Left Corner of Tank
-MarineLand Intake using Glass Surface Skimmer
-FX4 outflow using Glass Lilly Pipe (1" to 3/4 quick release adaptor)

Right corner of Tank
-Marineland Ouflow using glass lily pipe
-FX Intake using a glass Lilly Pipe (1" to 3/4 quick release adaptor)

Questions:
1) Will the skimmer be safe with guppy's? They tend to hang out on top of the tank a lot and i wanted to verify i dont have fish getting sucked into this. I dont have to run the skimmer I just thought having a surface skimmer and a standard intake sounded like a good idea.

2) Will reducing the hosing from the FX4 at the end of the hose from a 1" to a 3/4" hurt the pump in any way? I currently run this filter with the input at 100% and the outflow lowered 3-4 notches so the flow is reduced enough to not blast the guppy's around.

3) Will moving the outflow to single non-adjustable lily pipe be an issue for concern? I planned on having it on the back of the tank facing the front glass at a 45% angle so its reduced by hitting the glass but still moving water down the tank.

4) I have another air bubbler which I was going to hook up to a 4" long strip stone and place it in the back left corner near the edge of the cave as well as add a few more plants in this area to cover it from visibility. I figured this would help add oxygen to the tank since I am going from a duel nozzle output to a single output where as currently one nozzle faces the surface and the other the bottom. I have an existing air pump as shown but i modified the hosing to fit the decoration so the bubbles are large surface bubblers not the fine air you see from an air stone (if it makes a difference, unsure but figured its more about surface agitation).

I do have an inline temp alarm wired into the hose before the marineland filter so I can see the temp pre-filter and pre-heater. I do probably need to come up with another sensor or inline heater down the road I like to have a failsafe incase one stops working or causes issues. The alarm will alert me if water temps drop below 77 or above 81. I wired it into a plastic fitting under the tank as I hate having extra wiring going into the tank.

Photos/videos to be added in a second.
Pics

Added quick video below to google drive!
Meet Google Drive – One place for all your files

Also FYI: I am going to be removing the Marino Moss from the caves and going with a java moss. I will be moving the large cave to the back right corner so its a 3 stack. I have a large 3" stack cave going in on the back left. The moss looked great but its dieing out and I was informed it cannot be ripped or opened up without dieing.

Attachments

• 8356F6B7-08FC-4B15-9327-C9B61A8C976E.jpeg
    8356F6B7-08FC-4B15-9327-C9B61A8C976E.jpeg
    271.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 84AB9FC3-FA10-4307-A675-DBB98A96650C.jpeg
    84AB9FC3-FA10-4307-A675-DBB98A96650C.jpeg
    262.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 93DA03BC-1519-4A5F-9798-52DB934EC9CA.jpeg
    93DA03BC-1519-4A5F-9798-52DB934EC9CA.jpeg
    265.6 KB · Views: 23
  • Tank Flow.png
    Tank Flow.png
    128.3 KB · Views: 23

digitalsol

nobody?

I am going to swing into the LFS and buy some 1" clear tubing and get this knocked out this weekend. I will check the flow before and after and shoot a quick video so I can tell if its reduced too much etc. At this point my tank is back to healthy so its time to get it back to visually healthy and get this cannister off the floor etc.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
TheK79
Replies
Views
Cody
Replies
Views
Beneful1
  • Question