Marineland C-220 Rattling....

donatima

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm fairly new to canister filters, but I have had my marineland c-220 up and running for about 5 months now. The filter won't stop rattling! The only way I can get it to stop is by taking it apart and putting it back together.... then after a couple days it does it again. I don't think there is air trapped because I can't hear that "whoosh" noise like when it first starts up. The sound is almost like the bioballs clanking together... I have read these filters aren't the best...but I'm hoping someone on here has a solution to my problem. SUPER annoying!

Thanks

max h

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have several Magniflow and C-360's that run quiet. Check the impeller for any debris and clean it, after doing maintenance on my filters after start up I give them a gentle shake to finish getting any air out of the canister. Is the filter touching the stand or wall at all ?

OP
D

donatima

Reaction score
max h said:
I have several Magniflow and C-360's that run quiet. Check the impeller for any debris and clean it, after doing maintenance on my filters after start up I give them a gentle shake to finish getting any air out of the canister. Is the filter touching the stand or wall at all ?
I mentioned I take it apart and that includes the impeller assembly. I have never found anything trapped up inside... and after it is put back together it runs quietly for a couple of days then starts to rattle again. The filter base sits against the floor of my stand but the sides do not touch anything.

max h

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Try contacting the Marineland customer service department especially if it's still under warranty.

OP
D

donatima

Reaction score
max h said:
Try contacting the Marineland customer service department especially if it's still under warranty.
Thank you. I just emailed them. I have already had the impeller replaced... crossing my fingers they can fix this issue because it seems like a great filter without the rattle.

James17

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I had that same problem, and I found that my o ring on the top must have been sucking some air inside the canister, I replaced the o ring and the problem went away, strange, it didn't leak at all.

max h

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I had a primer button stick on my C-360 and they replaced it under warranty no questions asked.

OP
D

donatima

Reaction score
James17 said:
I had that same problem, and I found that my o ring on the top must have been sucking some air inside the canister, I replaced the o ring and the problem went away, strange, it didn't leak at all.
Was your rattling paired with the "whoosh" of air noise? Mine doesn't have that "whoosh" like when you first start it up and prime it.

OP
D

donatima

Reaction score
max h said:
I had a primer button stick on my C-360 and they replaced it under warranty no questions asked.
Interesting... my priming button doesn't seem to be stuck.. in fact it is quite hard to push at first until I get it pumping.

max h

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You never know if it's been less then 3 years since you purchased it, if they can't get you a solution they may send a new filter out under warranty. I had about 6 weeks left on my warranty when to problem arose. The old filter is still usable I just really wanted to know if there was a way to fix the problem.

James17

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Not really, mine just rattles, then I would shake it and get the woosh sound as the air went out.

New Threads