Marineland c-220 Foam Filters

billmarshall94

Reaction score
would you place foam filters in this order. bottom up, course medium and fine? I bought these 3 separate density foam filters. Thanks

Sarah73

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
@TexasDomer may know or @Anders247

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You want the water to hit the coarse pad first and the fine pad last. Look in the info that came with the canister and see which way the water flows (up or down) in the canister, and stack the pads appropriately.

OP
B

billmarshall94

Reaction score
I had to remove them, they we're really restricting the flow through the filter...I think my filter is undersized...

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
billmarshall94 said:
I had to remove them, they we're really restricting the flow through the filter...I think my filter is undersized...
What did you remove? You need pads in there for filtration. I'd get a bigger canister filter if you need it.

OP
B

billmarshall94

Reaction score
I put back the OEM pad that came with it..the flow is much better now, yes I need a bigger filter..I think this is like 225 gpm.

I read your filter should turn over 4 times within an hour of water, if true I have a 46 gal tank, the tank I have should be OK? what do you think? Thanks for the help.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The advertised GPH is much higher than the actual GPH with media in there. I'd get a bigger one. One of the benefits of a canister filter is that there's room for lots of media. One sponge in there isn't great.

OP
B

billmarshall94

Reaction score
well I have bio-balls and I took out the smooth rings, and added another more porous media.

charcoal, polishing pad...

I am going buy a larger canister..

OP
B

billmarshall94

Reaction score
I bought the sunsun 404b, what's the best way to transfer from one canister to another? I have them both running, the c-220 is cycle and the tank also. should I just take my Bio media from the c-220 and add it to the 404b? Thanks

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
billmarshall94 said:
I bought the sunsun 404b, what's the best way to transfer from one canister to another? I have them both running, the c-220 is cycle and the tank also. should I just take my Bio media from the c-220 and add it to the 404b? Thanks
Yes, move all of your biomedia from the old filter to the new. Turn the old filter off, setup the new filter, and put the new filter on the tank.

New Threads