Marineland Biowheel 150 Penguin Making Weird Noises

fish_ninja

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi all,

I do my aquarium maintenance on Sundays and yesterday I noticed there was some gunk building up on my filter intake, so I took the bottom "tube" off to scrub. I reattached yesterday, primed the filter with water, and turned back on - it seemed to be working fine.

Today, it is making some horrible noise. I am guessing it has something to do with me messing around with it yesterday, but after some finagling I can't figure out what is wrong. I'm new to the hobby and may be missing something obvious so I thought I would ask. Just now I turned off the filter, and took out the whole "tube" assembly, so the intake, middle extender tube, and the curved piece with the motor attached to the other end. I checked and all pieces are locked into each other, however it seems that I can't get the motor back in place correctly? The filter cover is not lying flush to the edge of the filter, and I went to press down thinking it was just out of place and the motor made some terrible whirring noise.

It's scaring my fish so for now I am just leaving it. It is loud but is working although I'm worried that it is on it's way out. I have time tomorrow morning before work to run out and get new parts/new filter if I really need to.

Thank you in advance!!!
Alyssa

**Edit** Just wanted to mention that all fish are accounted for...that was the first thing I checked

tocandesu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would take the filter off the tank so you can reassemble it easier. Make sure to keep all your media wet, though! For example, fill a bucket with dechlorinated water and put the cartridge there. I like to put my biowheel in the aquarium when servicing my Penguin filter, but you can put it in the bucket with the cartridge as well.

As for the noise, it probably is the impeller making the noise. It should look something like this:
d_6940.jpg

To get to it, fully disassemble the filter. Remove the intake pipe and impeller cover. (This thing)
penguin-150b-impeller-housing.jpg

Your impeller should be attached to the impeller cover.

Inspect the impeller. Make sure it can spin freely. Check the metal rod it spins on. Remove anything that might have gotten stuck on it. Also, check the blades on the impeller. Make sure none of them are broken.

If all of these parts seem fine, check the filter body and motor.

Down where the impeller and impeller cover sits is the motor and motor cavity. See if anything got in there. Shine a light if you can't see. Nothing should be stuck in there. Clean it out if there is anything.

Now you can reassemble the filter, making sure every part fits correctly. To quiet down the filter, even more, you can add Silicone Grease or Vaseline on the grey of the impeller (the magnet).

Let us know if this doesn't work.

fish_ninja

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
@tocandesu thank you thank you thank you! What a detailed and thoughtful response - I'm in bed now but I will be doing these steps first thing tomorrow morning, and let you know how it goes. Thank you again!

Bryangar

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Do you have sand as your substrate? If so that might be why. I have the 350 version and everytime my fish dig near the intake tube, the filer picks it up and makes a really loud noise. I would clean it out and check the impeller for anything unusual.

fish_ninja

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Do you have sand as your substrate? If so that might be why. I have the 350 version and everytime my fish dig near the intake tube, the filer picks it up and makes a really loud noise. I would clean it out and check the impeller for anything unusual.
Hi, yes! I have half sand/half gravel to keep cories happy and the sand side is where the intake tube is so that makes sense!

UglyAsian

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
How close is the intake to the substrate. You could take out the media and clean all of the filter. I had a walmart filter that stopped working and made noises, and when I cleaned the impeller, it started working quietly

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom