Marineland Bio-wheel Stops Spinning: Help Troubleshooting?

fish_ninja

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi everyone! New to the hobby and forum.

I'm trying to cycle my first tank and it has been pretty slow going. I just noticed this morning that my bio-wheel was not spinning, and was completely dry. I'm not sure how long it has been since it was spinning regularly. I had noticed it stopped a few weeks ago, but I just gave it a little push and the water kept it spinning. TBH I haven't checked it since then.

I'm wondering 1) if this is slowing down my cycle, and 2) if anyone else has had this problem and how they solved it. I adjusted the intake flow and that seemed to get it going again, but not as smoothly as when I first set the filter up.

Thanks!

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I had a 55 gallon Discus tank about 20 years ago with power head running my biowheels. I noticed that one had stopped because a leaf from a nearby houseplant fell in it. When I got it turning again, it kind of staggered as it turned, but I could see that the part that stayed in the water was more soaked and heavier than the rest of the wheel. After a few days of turning, it equilized and was turning more smoothly. And yes, it's very important to your cycling that the biowheels turn. They pick up water that has ammonia and nitrites and when the wet wheel turns with that water out of the water, it picks up extra oxygen for the bacteria on the wheel before they spin back into the water. I currently use 2 different systems, but I'm a big fan of biowheel use.
fish_ninja said:
Hi everyone! New to the hobby and forum.

I'm trying to cycle my first tank and it has been pretty slow going. I just noticed this morning that my bio-wheel was not spinning, and was completely dry. I'm not sure how long it has been since it was spinning regularly. I had noticed it stopped a few weeks ago, but I just gave it a little push and the water kept it spinning. TBH I haven't checked it since then.

I'm wondering 1) if this is slowing down my cycle, and 2) if anyone else has had this problem and how they solved it. I adjusted the intake flow and that seemed to get it going again, but not as smoothly as when I first set the filter up.

Thanks!

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Check and be sure the pad is allowing enough water to flow. Also you will want to lube the pins with silicone.
I use this:

We have 6 Marineland bio wheels.

fish_ninja

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
finnipper59 said:
I had a 55 gallon Discus tank about 20 years ago with power head running my biowheels. I noticed that one had stopped because a leaf from a nearby houseplant fell in it. When I got it turning again, it kind of staggered as it turned, but I could see that the part that stayed in the water was more soaked and heavier than the rest of the wheel. After a few days of turning, it equilized and was turning more smoothly. And yes, it's very important to your cycling that the biowheels turn. They pick up water that has ammonia and nitrites and when the wet wheel turns with that water out of the water, it picks up extra oxygen for the bacteria on the wheel before they spin back into the water. I currently use 2 different systems, but I'm a big fan of biowheel use.
Thank you so much - I've checked a few times since this morning when I noticed it, and it is still spinning but still a little wonky. I will give it some more time.

fish_ninja

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thunder_o_b said:
Check and be sure the pad is allowing enough water to flow. Also you will want to lube the pins with silicone.
I use this:

We have 6 Marineland bio wheels.
Just to be clear - do you mean the filter media? I did take them out and rearrange them as I had two cartridges in, and that is how I got it going again. Is that something you need to do periodically?

The lubricant is a good idea, thanks!

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
fish_ninja said:
Just to be clear - do you mean the filter media? I did take them out and rearrange them as I had two cartridges in, and that is how I got it going again. Is that something you need to do periodically?

The lubricant is a good idea, thanks!
If (and I stress IF) the bio wheels are aged and have a good colony of BB on them you can clean the cartages thoroughly which will keep the water flowing fast enough for the wheels. I run at least two filters on all our aquariums (canisters and HOB) I service them weekly on rotation. That way there is no danger of harming the cycle and the filters are at peek flow..

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom