Marineland 350b Penguin

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Huskiesandfishies, Aug 1, 2015.

1. H

Huskiesandfishies Valued Member Member

Was wondering how good of a HoB filter this is? And if I could alter or add any more bio filtration to what it already comes with? Thanks! (They are 23 dollars at petsmart right now)

2. chrt396

chrt396 Well Known Member Member

They are VERY noisy!! Lots of moving parts. IMO The Aqua Clear is by far the quietest and holds a good amount of media. Has room for sponge, (No blue floss filter to change every month), , BioMax media and whatever other you want to add...like Purigen or Carbon...or EXTRA bio media. I have one on my 29 gallon and it is super quiet. Every other tank I have is a canister filter by Fluval. The 206,306,406 and FX6. Fluval bought the rights to the Aqua clear.

They have the Aqua clear on sale on Amazon...for $41 Here is the link. If you have a discount or Petco dollars, you can use it against the $50 they have it for.

http://www.amazon.com/AquaClear-70-...sim_199_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=1VZG1W6P9HH7MK2EWXA9

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I would disagree. I have one on my 55 gal now and it's super quiet. I had one small issue with noise, but I called the company and they shipped me (for free) a replacement part. No issues since! Great product, and great customer service!

There's plenty of room for extra media, but the biowheels are great for the BB.

4. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

You can't really add anything to them. They aren't designed for it. Plus unless you are really ,really overstocked there is no need to add anything to a filter anyway. I know most people, myself included like to. But generally it's not necessary.

They are good filters though. And if you need a new filter, for that price you can't go wrong.

There are ways around the pricey cartridges. If you get one shoot me a PM and I can help with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  5. freak78

freak78 Well Known Member Member

I've ran the 350s for the last 6 years on my various tanks. I had 4 of those running on various tanks along with a 200 and a 150 on others. Really never had any issues with them. Now I just upgraded everything to Aquaclears. These are a much better filter in my opinion. The aquaclear are just so much more customizeable and seem to flow more water.

6. g

gremmie0 New Member Member

My water quality has never really been great with it in my 55g. That might be my learning process and not entirely the filter though, I am new. After the most recent cleaning my impeller has been rattling something fierce, greasing it didn't help, the magnets seem touchy now. Its been about 8 months since initial purchase and setup.

7. chrt396

Well...there you go! You had one that was noisy and had to get another. There have been more complaints on noise from the Penguins than any other filter. The Aqua Clears are quiet from the start..and hold a lot of Bio Media. PLUS..you will eventually ahve to replace those wheels. They get gunked up and have to be maintained more so than Bio Max..which require a swish around in tank water.
    The bottom line is to do it right the first time. Don't buy the product to have to eventually upgrade to easier to maintain and quieter filter. I've spent a lot of hard earned cash learning the hard way.

8. OP
    OP
    H

Huskiesandfishies Valued Member Member

Thanks all! I was just looking to see if they'd still be efficient or cost more in the long run anyway. Im using aquaclears on one already. Maybe I should just wait and get the better of the 2 then..

9. chrt396

The Penguin will work fine. It just ain't an Aqua clear! If we were talking a few hundred dollars difference..well maybe go for the less expensive one...but for the price of a Happy Meal...well..maybe two...you can get a NICE filter. PLUS...they look a lot sleeker and way more stylish!

10. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

We have them on 4 tanks now and they are not noisy at all. I have used them for many years and quite frankly I have found the other brands are a waist of time and money. I have one that is pushing 10 years old and runs as well as the day I installed it with the same wheel.

EDIT: I will say that I prefer the Emperor line to the Penguin.

11. BDpups

You should never have to replace a bio wheel. If you had a Penguin or Emperor that was noisy and the wheels got "gunked up" then you were not using it right. That's on you. Not the filter.

12. chrt396

Didnt say that I had a problem with maintaining the filter. It's just one more step in maintenance that effects the performance of the filter, IT IS NOISY!!!!!!! Dont be offended because I have an opinion. I gave my opinion, now it's up to the OP what he wants to do! The Bio wheel DOES get to the point where you need to replace it! It is a fiber filter and they do wear! I bought a ten gallon quarentine tank that came with the hood, LED light and a Penguin small filter with Bio wheel. I can hear that filter from my kitchen 20 feet away. That is the 2nd Penquin \I've owned.

They make a bazillion different types of cars and trucks. I may say one is not all that great..you may LOVE it. We will never agree! Chevy....Ford...???

AquaClear has a GREAT reputation with few real complaints! I've had both...I prefer Aqua clear! I had my Penquin for two months in a bedroom. I listen to ESPN every night as I go to sleep. I LOVE a little background noise to sleep by. The Penguin KEPT me awake! Switched to Fluval (Hagen)..which is Aqua Clear..

13. BDpups

What is with all the explication points and capitol letters? This suggests you have been offended. Calm down...

I'm not offended by anything you said. Nor did anything I have posted suggest that I was. If you had a bio wheel that had build up on it to the point it needed to be replaced, it was because of something you were doing. The bio wheel should never need to be replaced. Just like any bio media. You never need to replace it. If you read the instructions that come with the filter it will tell you to never replace them unless they get damaged. And if it is noisy, you should contact Marineland. They will take care of it for free.

Like @Thunder_o_b I have used these filters and would recommend them. Especially for the price. I would take an Emperor 400 over a SunSun canister anytime.

Since you decided to bring it up. I prefer Aquaclear HOB's to Marineland.

14. chrt396

I'll play nice!! I'm feeling sensitive this morning. Seems like a lot of people lately have opinions and if they disagree with you..they get personal. I misinterpreted your statement. I apologize.
    :;co Think I need one of these.

PS...I STILL think that the Aquaclear is better!! :;perfect

15. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Didn't get another whole filter. Got a simple, easy-to-replace PART for the filter. Haven't had a problem since, and no noise. Absolutely none. They replaced it for free too, no questions. In my opinion, great customer service is also important, and Marineland has that.

And nope, never have to replace the wheels. If you're replacing the biowheels, you're doing something wrong.

In my opinion, getting a Penguin 350 biowheel WAS the right thing. I love it. Quiet, great filtration.

Everyone has their own opinion, and that's awesome. Just giving mine :)

16. alink

alink Well Known Member Member

Speaking from experience... here are my pros and cons of each, the Penguin (350) and AquaClear/Fluval (70)

Penguin 350:
    Pros:
    -quiet
    -350 gph
    -biowheels do the job of holding bacteria
    -filter changes are a breeze with no cycle bumps
    -cheaper upfront cost
    -self-primes
    Cons:
    -not completely user friendly for disassembling and cleaning
    -If you have to remove carbon from the filter, you have slit it open and dump it out, then to replace carbon, you have to replace the filter, or try to dump some carbon in the existing filter.
    -Cartridges are expensive and add up over time. They will last a couple months if you are lucky.
    -Biowheels will eventually stop rotating. For me, it was about 5 months before it did. Total cleaning from impellar to cartridge replacement and everything else, and it still didnt turn.
    -Impellars will go out if you dont routinely clean them. They are $15 a piece on amazon.
    -bulky, long, and sometimes hard to fit on a tank without customizing a hood.

AquaClear/Fluval 70
    Pros:
    -quiet
    -customizable media
    -sponge will last years if you clean it often
    -biomedia will never have to be replaced, just swish it in the old water when you do water changes in the old water
    -You can buy carbon in bulk if you wish to use it, and fill up your media bag with it each month instead of buying the premade carbon bags for it
    -300 gph filtration
    -small and will easily fit on any tank
    -easily disassembled for cleaning
    Cons:
    -slightly more expensive
    -does not self prime, you have to prime it (very easy) after water changes
    -if you are lacking on your maintenance, the flow will be dramatically decreased or even stop which could damage the filter or even break it

Both of these are good for about a 40-55 gallon tank. I have used 2 of each on a 50 and a 55 gallon because i like lots of filtration to keep the water clear and stable. If you use just one, you will have to do more cleaning on it or the gunk in the sponge or filter will create a nitrate factory, spiking your nitrates up high, which poses a danger to the fish.
    I have found that if assembled properly, both are super quiet and you can only hear the water trickle.

My recommendation is the AquaClear/Fluval because there really is nothing that needs to be replaced (carbon is optional and cheap when purchased in bulk). It may filter less gph, so on a 50 or 55g and up, you will likely have to run 2 of them (applies to both penguin and ac/f). The upfront cost is higher with the ac/f but over the lifetime, it will pay for it self by not needing to buy the cartridges, impellars, etc.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice