marineland 280 loud after reassembly

1. Captin P Member Member

Has anyone ever had a problem with the marineland 280 pf being loud? I took it out to clean it and now its rattling. There appears to be a bracket of some sort around the impeller and it shifts and does not easily fit back together. :( I cant seem to fit is snug back around the intake tube.

2. ray_sj Member Member

Yes, mine does that sometimes after cleaning. Check to make sure the impeller is properly seated. There is also a plate that goes on the bottom of the box-shaped assembly. Make sure this plate is snapped into place. Then make sure the box-shaped assembly and intake tube are firmly seated. Most of the time, the filter quiets down again after some bio-film forms back on the parts.

This filter does a great job on my tank, but it alternates between whisper quiet and generating a racket I can hear on the second floor of my house... Maybe it's time to switch to a canister filter...

3. Captin P Member Member

Thanks Jay, how do i make sure the impeller is seated? ill double chk on the bottom plate.too. How do you aligin that bracket beneath the impeller?

4. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I hope you can get it working correctly again! I honestly hate marineland filters. They are junk IMO. Everyone I've owned I've hated and anyone I know who owned them hated them as well. It ALWAYS seems like something isn't working correctly. If you want a HOB filter that will last and is quite I highly recommend aquaclears. I've had the one on my betta tank for close to 10 years now. It was bought with my first tank of my own way back when and its still working like a charm. I had a marineland on my 29 and within a year it stopped working right so I just tossed it.

5. ray_sj Member Member

On the impeller, I just make sure I push it down as far as it will go.

On the bracket beneath the impeller, you're talking about the D-shaped one that has a hole that the impeller goes through? For that I just snap it into place. The nubs on the bracket should line up with the corresponding holes in the box-shaped assembly.

I check that the impeller does not rub on the hole in the bracket. If it does, I push on the impeller to straighten it out. Then I re-assemble the whole thing.

If you don't have the manual, there is an assembly drawing in it:

Emperor 280 quick setup guide

Hope that helps!

6. ray_sj Member Member

I have a few aquaclears as well, and they are pretty quiet. I do have an AC50 that is noisy, but it's nowhere as bad as the Emperor on a bad day.

Strangely, the quietest filter I've ever had is a Penguin 150. It's never made a so much as a peep!

7. Captin P Member Member

Thank Ray for the quide! Really!! I did some research and apparently this is not an uncommon problem with these filters. :mad: It appears to be a problem with the housing below the impeller. I am contacting Marineland tomorrow and i wish had done more research before i bought it. Thanks for the tip e_watson, i have an additional ac hob on the same tank that is years older than the marineland and have never had the slightest problem with it.

8. ray_sj Member Member

To their credit, Marineland customer service is excellent. I've called them a few times, and they will get you new parts quickly, no questions asked.

Good luck!