20 Gallon Tank Marineland 220 canister

• Thread starter Chrishxc718
  • Start date

Chrishxc718

I have just installed a Marineland 220 canister a few days ago and I'm looking to replace the output line as it does not drop down far enough. Is there a kit to do so, something like loc-line would this work? I've seen alot of people complain of this issue but seems to be an old topic so hopes of something now available to do so.

Frank the Fish guy

Well Known
I used to use my Marineland 220 filter with an output extender that sent the water in deeper into the tank.

But I have become more aware of oxygen levels in the aquarium. And by raising the output so that it stirs up the surface water and creates bubbles and froth, does wonders to increase the oxygen levels in the tank. The fish are more active too.

May I suggest that your filter output should be up high so that it stirs up the surface and keeps the surface rippling and this your water oxygenated.

Chrishxc718

Frank the Fish guy said:
I used to use my Marineland 220 filter with an output extender that sent the water in deeper into the tank.

But I have become more aware of oxygen levels in the aquarium. And by raising the output so that it stirs up the surface water and creates bubbles and froth, does wonders to increase the oxygen levels in the tank. The fish are more active too.

May I suggest that your filter output should be up high so that it stirs up the surface and keeps the surface rippling and this your water oxygenated.
Good point! But mine literally is about half out of water. Making waves haha. Reason being because of mystery snails, so I need to keep the waterline down some for clutches. If I could get just half an inch or inch I'd be happy.

JayAlva

Would you be able to fit a vinyl hose to extend it your desired length?

fishkeepinginaisa

Chrishxc718 said:
I have just installed a Marineland 220 canister a few days ago and I'm looking to replace the output line as it does not drop down far enough. Is there a kit to do so, something like loc-line would this work? I've seen alot of people complain of this issue but seems to be an old topic so hopes of something now available to do so.
Take the tubes to lowes. They'll set you right up. It's much cheaper than any specific kit you might order.

Fae

fishkeepinginaisa said:
Take the tubes to lowes. They'll set you right up. It's much cheaper than any specific kit you might order.
Generally I'd agree with this, but maybe not with tubes specifically! I might have just had bad luck, but some tubes I got from Lowe's to use with tanks ended up getting some weird kind of crust/mold in them that I've never seen on any fish-made tubes. Maybe made of something different?

Chrishxc718

fishkeepinginaisa said:
I was thinking about this but also what the guy said below I thought about as well. Thats why I was more less looking for a kit that would work to avoid any possible issues.

Fae said:
Generally I'd agree with this, but maybe not with tubes specifically! I might have just had bad luck, but some tubes I got from Lowe's to use with tanks ended up getting some weird kind of crust/mold in them that I've never seen on any fish-made tubes. Maybe made of something different?
Thats what i was thinking as well. Thats why I'm moreless looking for universal kit or whatever it may be that is made for aquariums and will fit the hose on the marineland

fishkeepinginaisa

Chrishxc718 said:
I was thinking about this but also what the guy said below I thought about as well. Thats why I was more less looking for a kit that would work to avoid any possible issues.
I suppose DIY carries a certain amount of risk, but I've never had trouble. Regardless, always stick to your gut and do what you think is best for the fish. Let us know what you figure out.

Frank the Fish guy

Well Known
I have 3/4" loc-line modular hose on mine.

I still have add on the return in the aquarium, but I point it up so it stirs up the surface water. You can also point it down to move the return lower into the water. It's nice being able to move it around, and mix these up in the tank.

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
use 1/2" i.d. PVC pipe to make a DIY discharge pipe.

A hose barb with male threaded fitting can be used to attach the hose. A stainless steel hose clamp can hold the hose securely in place

Top Bottom