Marineland 20 gallon kit lighting

1. Ap05 Well Known Member Member

Hey guys, my wife is giving me her new unopened 20 gallon marineland led kit. I plan on doing live plants. I highly doubt this stock light will be sufficient. Plants will be low to medium light, Excel for co2. I have Java Moss, Java fern, Amazon sword. Cabomba, and water wisteria in my 55.

Will I have to replace the entire hood, or are there lights that will fit in this hood that will grow these plants?

2. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

The stock LED light hood may do ok with the low light plants you listed. I'm not sure about cabomba though, it may need a bit more light.

3. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

The Marineland hoods I use on my 10 gallons are not even strong enough to grow algae, but I don't know that particular light. If you are handy, you might check out LED strips. They are on a thin strip, without a fixture. You can search Google for them, I only know that they exist and some are designed for freshwater plants. If you want an out of the box solution without ditching the hood you might check out Marineland Hidden LED. This is a submersible light that mounts to the rim of the aquarium. I use one to light up a shadowed area in one of my tanks. It is not particularly strong, but would probably meet your needs as supplemental lighting.

4. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

5. Ap05 Well Known Member Member

This is the one that came with the tank. It doesn't look like there's any way to replace the lights either. It also has 3 blue lunar lights. I have no idea how may watts or what Kelvin these are. [​IMG]

6. Ap05 Well Known Member Member

I guess I could try to put Java fern, sword, maybe some Moss and wisteria in and see how it goes?

7. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't bother trying a sword, that wouldn't be enough light, you would have better luck with a crypt. Java fern and moss will survive under just about any light but they might not grow much.

8. Ap05 Well Known Member Member

So apparently I found that this is 4 watts fixture. What would you guys recommend for the plants I was wanting to grow? Wisteria, sword, Java fern, and Moss?