Marine Substrate (aragonite) For Fancy Goldfish Tank?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Two For Flinching, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Two For FlinchingNew MemberMember

Hello,

I am new to fish-keeping and currently in the process of setting up my first 160 litres/42 gallon tank with the intention of placing some fancy goldfish in it. At the moment the tank is empty in the process of a fish less cycle.

I am thinking of having a sand substrate for the tank. I've been recommend by my LFS and purchased some Tidal Meridian Oolitc Aragonite sand from Seachem but I've noticed it's a marine substrate and it says it is a "substrate for all reef and marine aquaira." Would this sand be appropriate for my tank or will I have to purchase something else like pool filtration sand that other fish keepers use?

Tap water parameters:
    pH is 7.4.
    KH is 0-50ppm (2 drops using API test kit)

Kind regards,

Two For Flinching

2. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylahWell Known MemberMember

Goldfish thrive at a pH of 7.2-7.6 and yours is 7.4 which is good. Aragonite raises pH, a little higher pH than perfect is ok though, as long as it doesn't get too high so keep an eye on that.

3. OP
    OP
    T

Two For FlinchingNew MemberMember

Hi,

Thanks for replying! Will I be able to put plants in my tank with sand as my only substrate? Currently, I planning to use some silk artificial plants but might consider live plants in the future. Sorry for my lack of knowledge!

Thanks,
    Two For Flinching

4. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylahWell Known MemberMember

There are some low tech plants that don't require any special substrate, added nutrients, light etc. and then there are some that require all of those things.

5. OP
    OP
    T

Two For FlinchingNew MemberMember

Ok thank you.

6. Mom2some

Mom2someWell Known MemberMember

With goldfish I think the concern with plants is that they eat most plants. So I would do some research on goldfish resistant plants before adding anything to the tank. There is a goldfish subform here which might provide good tips. Good luck & welcome to the forum!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice