Marine Light Question

Mike1995

You must be registered to see images
I was wondering if this light would be good for a saltwater tank? I just started a 75 gallon saltwater tank and wondering what might be a good option for lighting.
I was also wondering, in my sump I have a skimmer, pump for output, a baffle and some other media in bags. Is there anything else I would need in there? once I get salt in tge water, I'll get live rock.

Lorekeeper

I don't have any experience with lighting a larger tank, so sorry bout that. Nart or Culprit might be able to help.

I'm not sure what you'd need in your sump, either. But, I can tell you that you can't mix saltwater in the tank. You're gonna need to mix it in buckets or brutes.

Mike1995

I don't have any experience with lighting a larger tank, so sorry bout that. Nart or Culprit might be able to help.

I'm not sure what you'd need in your sump, either. But, I can tell you that you can't mix saltwater in the tank. You're gonna need to mix it in buckets or brutes.

I figured that. I just have water in there to test everything and make sure it all works. I bought everything used

Lorekeeper

Just making sure! You'd be surprised how many people try to mix salt in the tank, and then wonder why it didn't all dissolve.

Nart

Mike1995 HI Mike - that like will work, but if you have the traditional 75 gallon tank, which if I remember correctly runs at 4' long. You might need 2-3 units in order to properly light the entire tank.
Depending how high you hang those lights, I think the range covers to about 24"-30"?

Another option to look into are AquaIllumination LED lights, which I highly recommend and if you have a bigger budget go with Radion XR Pro Gen4s.

rugerjr

Go with the Reefbrite metal halide that I believe is still on sale. I put one up over my tanks with a Phoenix Blue DE bulb. Then it comes with two reefbrite LED strips and I added a dual bulb T5 HO with two ATI Coral plus bulbs. It is seriously the most beautiful color I have seen in a tank. Same turquoise as the Bahamas. I don’t really ever plan on going back to LED fixtures. They are fun and make the colors really pop. But they don’t get near the growth and we are hobbyists, not scientists. We don’t know what optimum intensity is. This is just my opinion. They do work and will make some beautiful popping colors. But they will not grow frags into the colonies that we intend anywhere near as fast as a MH.

rugerjr

You must be registered to see images

This was taken with my cheap phone camera before I completely finished the install. I’m in the stupid hospital right now so it’s the best one I have. But the picture does no justice.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
saltwater60
Replies
Views
Azedenkae
Replies
Views
doubleohwhatever
Replies
Views