Question Marimo Turning Grey

I see fire.

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I recently just went through a 24 hour black out in my tanks for a span of roughly 3 to 4 weeks due to velvet in my divided ten gallon tank with my girls. Since the black out was lifted, my Marimo have been grey ever since. I had added aquarium salt as instructed to help with the parasite, and - though I've heard that Marimo can go into salt water - I'm wondering if the salt was killing it, as it did with most my other plants (aside from the clover carpet).

Some sources say that it is just slime and to wash it, others say to cut off the gray and reform the ball. These are larger moss balls, so they are not completely round like most moss balls. They are like little moss rocks to be honest. Whenever I pick them up, they seem to have holes and feel as if they might fall right apart.

Any ideas?

girlwithmanyeyes

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've kept Marimo's in various containers for years and now have 4 in my new 5 gallon aquarium...
1) Light green/brown can indicate too much light
2) A less than 5% salt solution is actually good for marimos
3) It may be some dying spots if the temperature of the tank is too high for the marimo. In the wild they live in ice cold lakes of Scotland, Japan, Iceland. Temps above 75' F can be stressful. However my aquarium marimos are doing great so far and my tank temp is 78-80'F.

You could try to simply flip it over and make sure the grey area gets light.
If that doesn't not work then you can get a bowl, add water, ice and salt (~5%), let them soak in that for about 3 hours

You can also reshape them into balls by simply rolling them around between your hands. Alternatively, you can open them up and lay them flat like a carpet. The main reason that we see them in ball shape is because of where they grown in the wild is rather turbulent shallow waters so they roll around a lot and all sides get more evenly exposed to light. It's like any houseplant will grow towards the light and to keep them growing evenly, you should turn them every so often.

OP
I see fire.

I see fire.

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Here are some pics. Maybe it was the salt then, if it should be less than 5% of it. I've been adding in Flourish, but if it is dead then maybe not. The lights are on for about 9 to 11 hours a day, sometimes more depending on when I go to bed so light is not a problem (unless it is too much light).

I would actually love to turn it into a carpet if you have any tips on that. :) Would it spread over time? My one portion of the tank has no plants aside from the marimo and a bit of hornswort from another tank (which also doesn't seem to grow). So spreading it in this portion of my tank would be great. :)

Attachments

LordGrim

Reaction score
I not very sure about this, but I believe that moss ball don't like direct light. I had mine close to light and it became grayish too, I trI'm it away and place it further away from light source and it rebound back to green. 9 to 11 hours of light seem to be overkill. Anyway I am a newbie to live plant too so I am not sure if its the light but that's what had happen to me.

sfsamm

Well Known
Reaction score
When you do your next water change squeeze it gently a few times in the old tank water. It almost looks as if its something on it in your photos. If its not a dusting of something trI'm it off with some sharp scissors. I've had them shipped to me and be almost entirely dead and yellow brown and brought them back, but I've never seen anything like that. The weird thing is that it looks almost like bba growing on it, which seems really strange.

OP
I see fire.

I see fire.

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
LordGrim said:
I not very sure about this, but I believe that moss ball don't like direct light. I had mine close to light and it became grayish too, I trI'm it away and place it further away from light source and it rebound back to green. 9 to 11 hours of light seem to be overkill. Anyway I am a newbie to live plant too so I am not sure if its the light but that's what had happen to me.
The graying happened before the light source. It turned gray during a 3 week, 24 hour blackout while treating for Velvet.

sfsamm said:
When you do your next water change squeeze it gently a few times in the old tank water. It almost looks as if its something on it in your photos. If its not a dusting of something trI'm it off with some sharp scissors. I've had them shipped to me and be almost entirely dead and yellow brown and brought them back, but I've never seen anything like that. The weird thing is that it looks almost like bba growing on it, which seems really strange.
I will try that then. I'll also see if trimming it does anything to help it. Thank you!

New Threads