Marimo Moss Balls

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Nichole Bearden, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Nichole Bearden

Nichole Bearden New Member Member

Can anyone give me any info on marimo moss balls? I want to add them to my tank for my whisker shrimp.

2. B

Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

Really easy to care for. Don't need high lighting. Only care requirements are to turn them over once a week and to gently squeeze them in a ball shape when you do that to keep them from growing flat.

3. OP
    OP
    Nichole Bearden

Thank you.

4. Lorekeeper

Lorekeeper Well Known Member Member

Just saying, get the biggest one you can find or 2-3 small ones. They're incredibly slow growers.

5. OP
    OP
    Nichole Bearden

I was thinking about 4 or 5. I have a few ghost shrimp as well I am hoping they will like them as well.

6. Lorekeeper

Shrimp love them!

If you find marimo balls too expensive, and want something that grows a bit faster java moss tied to a rock looks just as good after a while. Same requirements as well.

7. OP
    OP
    Nichole Bearden

I have Java Moss and one other I can't remember what it's called, but they are still small right now as they have only been in my tank about a month.
    I just ordered some marimo balls and found 5 for about $12.00 it said they are about 3 inches

8. Lorekeeper

Good find.

9. L

Levibeast Valued Member Member

I got my marimo moss balls from Aquaticarts off of Amazon. They are really huge and green and really easy to care for. I have no algae in my tank too.

10. OP
    OP
    Nichole Bearden

That's where I got mine. Thank you that is really good to know, I go through the reviews before I order and they had great reviews.

11. Fishboy321

Fishboy321 Valued Member Member

Big ones/4 to 5 inch diameter are like 20 to 30 bucks and small ones/1 to 3 inch are like 8 to 15 dollars at my lfs

12. Briggs

Briggs Well Known Member Member

I've read that large doses of Excel can hurt them because they are technically a kind of algae, but otherwise they are super easy. They do seem to collect a lot of mulm, so I'm sure shrimp must love them.

13. OP
    OP
    Nichole Bearden

I
    got mine through aquatic arts. I ordered 5 and received 7 they all different sizes and one was the size of a tennis ball. And they shipped really quickly.

14. CarrieFisher

CarrieFisher Well Known Member Member

I have 4 in my 29gal.

One is 3", the other three are about 1.5/2".

I like to squeeze em out weekly with my water changes, then i let them absorb fresh i dechlorinated water before i put them back in my tank.

Oh!! They reportedly dont like temps over about 77.
    That approx what i keep mine at, and theyre thriving

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice