Marimo Moss Balls

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by gypsy32, Feb 20, 2015.

1. gypsy32

gypsy32Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    Just started
    Hi, I have just purchased 4 Marimo moss balls for my tropical tank, this is the first time I have ever had them, I have lots of other live plants in the tank so I thought I'd add a few of these balls because they are very cute.

My question is How do I look after them? I have tried googling them but didn't find anything very helpful,
    Do I need to do anything to them? I have one large one about 7cm, one medium one about 4cm & 2 small ones about 1cm each.
    They arrived in the mail, then i put them in a plastic container & let them soak for a few hours changing the water a few times then I popped them in my tank,

They were pretty expensive compared to other live plants so I really don't want them to die.

Also will they grow any bigger?

Thanks for any into, it will be appreciated.

Sent from my VIANO_T7720 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Bluestreakfl

BluestreakflWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +73
    Experience:
    1 year
    They are fairly slow growing. Although they are technically an Algae, they'll outcompete other bad algae for nutrients. As far as maintenance goes, you basically just take them out of the tank every few weeks, squeeze em gently, and rinse them in some treated or tank water. Put em back in, squeeze out the air, and let me sink back in. I've found they are good at catching fine particles of debris, and food. My shrimp love them.

3. thefishdude277

thefishdude277Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +8
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    They can grow baby Marimos too!

-fishdude

4. aliray

alirayFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +48
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I have 11 of them divided between three 10 gal tanks. I roll them over once a week with the end of the net, so that every side gets exposed to light. Just move them a little one way or the other and the purpose is so that you don't get a dead spot on the bottom. When I do a water change, I put them in some treated clean water and give them a couple of swishes and a gentle squish, then role in my hands gently like rolling a meatball, then back in the tank. If they float don't worry they will fill back up and sink. They grow very slowly in the aquarium, they don't need any additional plant food. They stay a lovely shade of green. To propagate them you would divide one into smaller pieces than ,wait for them to grow. I would only do that if one came apart which should not happen in you are gentle with them. I love mine and find them facinating. Alison

5. OP
    OP
    gypsy32

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    Just started
    I agree that they are fascinating, I heard them mentioned on here so I went on eBay to buy some, there is just something about them,

I have lots of other live plants in the tank that I don't fertilise, so its good to know that I don't need to add any fert to these as well,

so I can divide them & here I was thinking when I read the above post from the Fishdude277 that I would have to get a male & a female ball & place them close together so they can have babies...lol
    It sounds like that movie from the 80's called "Gremlins" where you put this little creature in water & they start shooting little baby balls out of it's back, kind of creepy though, so I am glad that isn't how they multiply...lol

They are really beautiful green colour, so I will follow your advice to keep them healthy,
    Thanks for the info.

6. thefishdude277

Ratings:
    +8
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    There is no such thing as male and female moss balls lol. The moss ball will grow clumps on itself an then separate making "babies"

-fishdude

7. aliray

alirayFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +48
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    You are very welcome. Alison

8. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +4,195
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    They are really easy to keep.... nothing special at all. They grow really slowly, too.

9. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +2,380
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
  10. aliray

alirayFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +48
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Just watched it . thanks for the link. He did a good job. Thanks for the link....Alison

11. OP
    OP
    gypsy32

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    Just started
    Thanks Lucy I just watched the video , i wasn't aware of the "fake" moss balls, I went & checked mine & luckily they are exactly the same as his, I pulled it apart a little just to be sure, its good to know that I don't have to buy anymore I can just pull bits off, Marino moss balls are on average about $25 each here in Australia so not exactly cheap.

I also watched the video below it on propagating plants, I have wondered how to do this without killing the main plant so now i know how so thank you very much,

I didn't know that there was videos on here, I have seen pictures that people have posted with their posts but no videos, so I will have a scrounge around the site & see if I can find some more that will help me on my way with my aquarium, i usually just click on the 'freshwater for beginners' section so I will look around a bit more,

Thank you for all your help,

Tricia.

12. 2Dogs

2DogsValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    Experience:
    2 years
    I noticed these at PetSmart after reading this thread - does anyone have a recommended source for these?

13. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +4,195
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I get them from petco, they were good quality.

14. Bluestreakfl

BluestreakflWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +73
    Experience:
    1 year
    The ones I saw at pet smart didn't look very dense, almost fake, not sure though. I got mine from a family owned local store and mine are nice and thick, dense, round. ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1424628388.176288.

15. thefishdude277

Ratings:
    +8
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Marimos aren't really plants, they are algae.
    They grow in fast moving streams where a piece of algae gets moved around and around continuesly, forming a ball.

-fishdude