Marimo moss balls with betta

Hayli

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi! I got 3 minI Marimo moss balls today from PetSmart and was wondering how to clean them or should I QT them? I just have one betta in a 5 gallon tank.

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Hayli said:
Hi! I got 3 minI Marimo moss balls today from PetSmart and was wondering how to clean them or should I QT them? I just have one betta in a 5 gallon tank.
You can just dump it in. They shouldn't come with an pest or parasites, as far as I know. If you notice any of them float, just squeeze it.

Debbie1986

Well Known
Reaction score
For maintenance, when you do a water change, 1x a month, run them under tap water and gently squeeze. Because tank has water conditioner in it from the water change, putting them back in will be fine - in my experience.

The Betta tanks that are not planted (meaning I don't dose the tank for feeding the plants) , I soak the moss ball for an hour in aquarium water dosed with plant food.

I've only lost 1 moss ball ( the sphere shape over time basically feel apart into pieces) so just be gentle

OP
Hayli

Hayli

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Crispii said:
You can just dump it in. They shouldn't come with an pest or parasites, as far as I know. If you notice any of them float, just squeeze it.
Ok cool, I did go ahead and rinse them under tap water the after that I swished them around in some dechlorinated water. I squeezed them out fully and then put them in my tank!

Ebreus

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My grandmother got one of these for her Betta.
She says she's watched him roll it around his tank. From what I've read with fish that are inclined to roll them on their own rolling them during tank matienance is unnecessary but I doubt harmful so long as you're gentle with them.

I hope your Betta likes them as much as my Grandmothers likes his.
Edit: Almost forgot, when we added the moss ball we let it float and it sank on its own. I have no idea if there's any difference between helping it sink and letting it sink on its own.

OP
Hayli

Hayli

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ebreus said:
My grandmother got one of these for her Betta.
She says she's watched him roll it around his tank. From what I've read with fish that are inclined to roll them on their own rolling them during tank matienance is unnecessary but I doubt harmful so long as you're gentle with them.

I hope your Betta likes them as much as my Grandmothers likes his.
Edit: Almost forgot, when we added the moss ball we let it float and it sank on its own. I have no idea if there's any difference between helping it sink and letting it sink on its own.
That’s so cute! Thank you so much!:) I did get them in hopes that he’ll roll them around haha, he’s a playful and energetic guy so hopefully so!

New Threads