Marimo Moss Balls On Tank Decoration

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by jennalynnj, Jun 9, 2019.

1. jennalynnjValued MemberMember

I have seen some videos, where they take a moss ball and either rip it open amd flatten it or cut it into pieces. Anyone have any luck with this?
    Here is what i am thinking. I have this fake log and I really would rather everything look natural, but I am also frugal so... I thought I would cover it in moss. I think the type of moss that is marimo moss balls would look really nice..like a forest log with moss right? I just don't know if it will really work? Will it fill in if i cut small pieces and spread them over it? Or do they not really grow as much as other mosses. I really want the dense luffy moss look instead if java moss. Or, Any other ideas for a moss that will have the same effect?

2. FahnFishlore VIPMember

It works, but just keep this in mind:
    -the portions of the marimo moss (actually a type of algae) will turn brown that are not receiving light
    -the algae grows v e r y slowly, only a few mm per year, and takes forever to spread

3. jennalynnjValued MemberMember

Maybe I should find one that will fill in faster, and just leave the ball alone lol. Java moss is too thin to really cover it the way i want. Any ideas for a moss that would work well?

4. FahnFishlore VIPMember

If you are patient, you'll probably really like Fissidens or Subwassertang. Also, Christmas moss is similar to java moss but grows denser and fluffier, especially if you trim it regularly.

5. jennalynnjValued MemberMember

Cool thanks. I will look them up!

6. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Christmas moss.

_MG_7836-Edit.0.jpg

_MG_8744-Edit.0.jpg